We are given focus(x, y) and directrix(ax + by + c) of a parabola and we have to find the equation of parabola using its focus and directrix.
Input: x1 = 0, y1 = 0, a = 2, b = 1, c = 2
Output: equation of parabola is 16.0 x^2 + 9.0 y^2 + -12.0 x + 16.0 y + 24.0 xy + -4.0 = 0.
Input: x1 = -1, y1 = -2, a = 1, b = -2, c = 3
Output:equation of parabola is 4.0 x^2 + 1.0 y^2 + 4.0 x + 32.0 y + 4.0 xy + 16.0 = 0.
Let P(x, y) be any point on the parabola whose focus S(x1, y1) and the directrix is the straight line ax + by + c =0.
Draw PM perpendicular from P on the directrix. then by definition pf parabola distance SP = PM
SP^2 = PM^2
(x - x1)^2 + (y - y1)^2 = ( ( a*x + b*y + c ) / (sqrt( a*a + b*b )) ) ^ 2
// let ( a*a + b*b ) = t
x^2 + x1^2 - 2*x1*x + y^2 + y1^2 - 2*y1*y = ( ( a*x + b*y + c ) ^ 2 )/ t
on cross multiplying above we get
t*x^2 + t*x1^2 - 2*t*x1*x + t*y^2 + t*y1^2 - 2*t*y1*y = ( ( a*x + b*y + c ) ^ 2 ) t*x^2 + t*x1^2 - 2*t*x1*x + t*y^2 + t*y1^2 - 2*t*y1*y = a^2*x^2 + b^2*y^2 + 2*a*x*b*y + c^2 + 2*c*(a*x + b*y) t*x^2 + t*x1^2 - 2*t*x1*x + t*y^2 + t*y1^2 - 2*t*y1*y = a^2*x^2 + b^2*y^2 + 2*a*x*b*y + c^2 + 2*c*a*x + 2*c*b*y t*x^2 - a^2*x^2 + t*y^2 - b^2*y^2 - 2*t*x1*x - 2*c*a*x - 2*t*y1*y - 2*c*b*y - 2*a*x*b*y - c^2 + t*x1^2 + t*y1^2 =0.
This can be compared with general form that is
a*x^2 + 2*h*x*y + b*y^2 + 2*g*x + 2*f*y + c = 0.
Below is the implementation of the above :
equation of parabola is 16.0 x^2 + 9.0 y^2 + -12.0 x + 16.0 y + 24.0 xy + -4.0 = 0.
- Finding the vertex, focus and directrix of a parabola
- Equation of ellipse from its focus, directrix, and eccentricity
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the parabola
- Equation of circle from centre and radius
- Given equation of a circle as string, find area
- Euler Method for solving differential equation
- Program to find equation of a plane passing through 3 points
- Program to find number of solutions in Quadratic Equation
- Number of ordered points pair satisfying line equation
- Predictor-Corrector or Modified-Euler method for solving Differential equation
- Equation of circle when three points on the circle are given
- Count of sub-strings that do not consist of the given character
- Length of the normal from origin on a straight line whose intercepts are given
- Slope of the line parallel to the line with the given slope
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.