Editorialist YX Interview Experience for SDE Intern+FTE | On-Campus 2022
This is my interview experience for Editorialist YX. They visited our campus for the 2022-batch session placements. The whole interview process was done virtually.
Round 1 (Online Test): It’s an online coding and MCQ round with 40 aptitude questions, 20 technical questions, and four coding questions. The duration of this round was 2:00 hrs.
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
The coding questions are:
- Next smaller of next greater element: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-next-smaller-next-greater-array
- Find if there is a subarray with a given sum: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-subarray-with-given-sum-in-array-of-integers/
- kth symbol: https://leetcode.com/problems/k-th-symbol-in-grammar/
- First non-repeating char in a stream https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/queue-based-approach-for-first-non-repeating-character-in-a-stream/
Out of 94 students, only 15 students were selected for the second round (I was one of them).
Round 2(Technical): It was a technical interview. Two interviewers were taking the interview.
- It started with the first question, which was based on a string; I wrote its pseudocode and explained it, I was unable to find its optimized approach but was able to give the solution using recursion.
- The second question was of finding the missing and repeating element in array https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-a-repeating-and-a-missing-number/
The interview had gone for 1hr, and out of 15 students, 10 were shortlisted for the next technical round.
Round 3(Technical + Puzzles): This technical round started with a little discussion over my projects, and then:
- The first question of coding was to find the top view of the Binary tree https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/print-nodes-top-view-binary-tree/, It was hard for me to find the correct approach, but the interviewers were very helpful and they gave me hints to solve it.
- Then a simple puzzle was asked, which was https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-7-find-the-jar-with-contaminated-pills/
- Then another coding question was to add the elements of two linked lists without reversing, https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sum-of-two-linked-lists/, I was able to think of approaches where I can use two for loops (not nested) but a new constraint was added that I have to solve it using only a single O(N) operation, then the interviewers gave me the hint to use recursion, and then it was a cakewalk for me to explain the rest.
- Then again a puzzle was asked, which was https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/puzzle-7-3-bulbs-and-3-switches/
Then I asked them about the company. This interview had also gone for 1hr, and out of 10 students, 5 were shortlisted for the next technical round.
Round 4 (Quantitative Ability + Projects): This round started with a discussion over my projects.
- There was a deep discussion over my interest areas in tech.
- Then they asked me to prove the Pythagoras theorem, I was able to solve it with the help of basic trigonometry, then they said me to prove it with the help of the similarity of triangles, It took me 2 minutes to figure out, and then I was able to prove.
This round had gone for 35-40 minutes, and out of 5, 4 were able to make their way for the HR round (Fortunately, I was one of them).
Round 5(HR Round): I had a great talk with HR for about 45-50 minutes.
- They asked me about my family and how my interview rounds had gone.
- How am I able to make this much energy after these many rounds.
- There was a very smooth and calm discussion over my hobbies and my Position of responsibilities.
All 4 were selected including me.
Try to be honest and be clear with your answers. Don’t hesitate to admit if you don’t know something, have a stronghold over DSA, and have an in-depth knowledge of projects.