Edge detection: In an image, an edge is a curve that follows a path of rapid change in intensity of that image. Edges are often associated with the boundaries of the object in a scene environment. Edge detection is used to identify the edges in an image to make the image processing easy. Edge detection works by detecting discontinuities in brightness. Edge detection is mainly used for image segmentation and data extraction in areas such as image processing, computer vision, and machine vision.
To find edges, you can use the in-built edge function edge(image, Edge detector) of Matlab. This in-built function looks for places in the image where the intensity changes rapidly, using one of these two criteria:
- Places where the first derivative of the intensity is larger in magnitude than some threshold value.
- Places where the second derivative of the intensity has a zero crossing.
Edge detectors provides several derivative estimators, each of which implements one of the above stated definitions. For some of these estimators, you can specify whether the operation should be sensitive to vertical edges, horizontal edges, or both. Edge estimators returns a binary image containing 1’s where edges are found and 0’s elsewhere.
The most powerful edge-detection technique that edge provides is the Canny method. The Canny method differs from the other edge-detection methods in that it uses two different types of thresholds levels to detect strong and weak edges. The Canny edge detection method includes the weak edges in the output only if they are connected to strong edges. This method is therefore less likely to be affected by noise, and more likely to detect true weak edges.
There are many Edge detection in-built functions are available in Matlab like:
- Sobel edge detector
- Prewitt edge detector
- Robert edge detector
- Log edge detector
- Zerocross edge detector
- Canny edge detector
Edge detection using MATLAB library function.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Real-Time Edge Detection using OpenCV in Python | Canny edge detection method
- Matlab | Edge Detection of an image without using in-built function
- MATLAB - Image Edge Detection using Prewitt Operator from Scratch
- MATLAB - Image Edge Detection using Sobel Operator from Scratch
- MATLAB - Image Edge Detection using Robert Operator from Scratch
- Python | Corner detection with Harris Corner Detection method using OpenCV
- Python | Corner Detection with Shi-Tomasi Corner Detection Method using OpenCV
- Python Program to detect the edges of an image using OpenCV | Sobel edge detection method
- Python - Edge Detection using Pillow
- Object Detection with Detection Transformer (DERT) by Facebook
- Image Processing in Python (Scaling, Rotating, Shifting and Edge Detection)
- Image Edge Detection Operators in Digital Image Processing
- Matlab program to rotate an image 180 degrees clockwise without using function
- Noise addition using in-built Matlab function
- MATLAB | Converting a Grayscale Image to Binary Image using Thresholding
- Draw Switzerland Flag Using Matlab
- LSB based Image steganography using MATLAB
- Draw Sweden Flag using matlab
- How to draw Japan flag using MATLAB
- Draw Kuwait Flag using MATLAB
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.