Consider a n x n grid with indexes of top left corner as (0, 0). Dyck path is a staircase walk from bottom left, i.e., (n-1, 0) to top right, i.e., (0, n-1) that lies above the diagonal cells (or cells on line from bottom left to top right).
The task is to count the number of Dyck Paths from (n-1, 0) to (0, n-1).
Input : n = 1 Output : 1 Input : n = 2 Output : 2 Input : n = 3 Output : 5 Input : n = 4 Output : 14
The number of Dyck paths from (n-1, 0) to (0, n-1) can be given by the Catalan numberC(n).
We strongly recommend that you click here and practice it, before moving on to the solution.
Below are the implementations to find count of Dyck Paths (or n’th Catalan number).
Number of Dyck Paths is 14
- Find number of sequences of 1 and -1 such that every sequence follows below constraints :
a) The length of a sequence is 2n
b) There are equal number of 1’s and -1’s, i.e., n 1’s, n -1s
c) Sum of prefix of every sequence is greater than or equal to 0. For example, 1, -1, 1, -1 and 1, 1, -1, -1 are valid, but -1, -1, 1, 1 is not valid.
- Number of paths of length m + n from (m-1, 0) to (0, n-1) that are restricted to east and north steps.
This article is contributed by Aditya Chatterjee. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Min Cost Path | DP-6
- Maximum path sum in an Inverted triangle | SET 2
- Shortest path in a Binary Maze
- Minimum length of the shortest path of a triangle
- Remove characters from a numeric string such that string becomes divisible by 8
- Program to implement Linear Extrapolation
- Check if it is possible to reach a number by making jumps of two given length
- Find the final X and Y when they are Altering under given condition
- Program to check if a number is divisible by any of its digits
- Print all multiplicative primes <= N
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscirbed within a square inscribed in a semicircle
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscribed within a Square inscribed in an equilateral triangle
- Largest number less than or equal to N/2 which is coprime to N
- Find the area of largest circle inscribed in ellipse