Consider a n x n grid with indexes of top left corner as (0, 0). Dyck path is a staircase walk from bottom left, i.e., (n-1, 0) to top right, i.e., (0, n-1) that lies above the diagonal cells (or cells on line from bottom left to top right).
The task is to count the number of Dyck Paths from (n-1, 0) to (0, n-1).
Input : n = 1 Output : 1 Input : n = 2 Output : 2 Input : n = 3 Output : 5 Input : n = 4 Output : 14
The number of Dyck paths from (n-1, 0) to (0, n-1) can be given by the Catalan numberC(n).
We strongly recommend that you click here and practice it, before moving on to the solution.
Below are the implementations to find count of Dyck Paths (or n’th Catalan number).
Number of Dyck Paths is 14
- Find number of sequences of 1 and -1 such that every sequence follows below constraints :
a) The length of a sequence is 2n
b) There are equal number of 1’s and -1’s, i.e., n 1’s, n -1s
c) Sum of prefix of every sequence is greater than or equal to 0. For example, 1, -1, 1, -1 and 1, 1, -1, -1 are valid, but -1, -1, 1, 1 is not valid.
- Number of paths of length m + n from (m-1, 0) to (0, n-1) that are restricted to east and north steps.
This article is contributed by Aditya Chatterjee. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Dyck Words of given length
- Shortest path from source to destination such that edge weights along path are alternatively increasing and decreasing
- Min Cost Path | DP-6
- Maximum path sum in an Inverted triangle | SET 2
- Shortest path in a Binary Maze
- Minimum length of the shortest path of a triangle
- Source to destination in 2-D path with fixed sized jumps
- Print path from root to all nodes in a Complete Binary Tree
- Convert the undirected graph into directed graph such that there is no path of length greater than 1
- Bitonic point in the given linked list
- Find XOR of numbers from the range [L, R]
- Check whether it is possible to convert A into B
- Find the minimum number of elements that should be removed to make an array good
- Number of elements from the array which are reachable after performing given operations on D