Consider a n x n grid with indexes of top left corner as (0, 0). Dyck path is a staircase walk from bottom left, i.e., (n-1, 0) to top right, i.e., (0, n-1) that lies above the diagonal cells (or cells on line from bottom left to top right).
The task is to count the number of Dyck Paths from (n-1, 0) to (0, n-1).
Input : n = 1 Output : 1 Input : n = 2 Output : 2 Input : n = 3 Output : 5 Input : n = 4 Output : 14
The number of Dyck paths from (n-1, 0) to (0, n-1) can be given by the Catalan numberC(n).
We strongly recommend that you click here and practice it, before moving on to the solution.
Below are the implementations to find count of Dyck Paths (or n’th Catalan number).
Number of Dyck Paths is 14
- Find number of sequences of 1 and -1 such that every sequence follows below constraints :
a) The length of a sequence is 2n
b) There are equal number of 1’s and -1’s, i.e., n 1’s, n -1s
c) Sum of prefix of every sequence is greater than or equal to 0. For example, 1, -1, 1, -1 and 1, 1, -1, -1 are valid, but -1, -1, 1, 1 is not valid.
- Number of paths of length m + n from (m-1, 0) to (0, n-1) that are restricted to east and north steps.
This article is contributed by Aditya Chatterjee. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Dyck Words of given length
- Min Cost Path | DP-6
- Maximum path sum in an Inverted triangle | SET 2
- Shortest path in a Binary Maze
- Minimum length of the shortest path of a triangle
- Source to destination in 2-D path with fixed sized jumps
- Minimum number of given operation required to convert n to m
- Minimize the cost to split a number
- Print all Semi-Prime Numbers less than or equal to N
- Count number of trailing zeros in Binary representation of a number using Bitset
- Sum of Fibonacci Numbers in a range
- Find amount of water wasted after filling the tank
- Largest sphere that can be inscribed within a cube which is in turn inscribed within a right circular cone
- Loss when two items are sold at same price and same percentage profit/loss