OpenCV provides many drawing functions to draw geometric shapes and write text on images. Let’s see some of the drawing functions and draw geometric shapes on images using OpenCV.
Some of the drawing functions are :
cv2.line() : Used to draw line on an image.
cv2.rectangle() : Used to draw rectangle on an image.
cv2.circle() : Used to draw circle on an image.
cv2.putText() : Used to write text on image.
To demonstrate uses of the above-mentioned functions we need an image of size 400 X 400 filled with a solid colour (black in this case). Inorder to do this, We can utilize numpy.zeroes function to create the required image.
Now, let’s draw some geometric shapes on this solid black image.
Draw a line :
cv2.line(imageObjectName, (‘start_coordinates’), (‘end_coordinates’), (‘color_in_bgr’), ‘line_thickness’)
Draw a rectangle :
cv2.rectangle(imageObjectName, (‘top_left_vertex_coordinates’), (‘lower_right_vertex_coordinates’), (‘stroke_color_in_bgr’), ‘stroke_thickness’)
Draw a Circle :
cv2.circle(imageObjectName, (‘center_coordinates’), (‘circle_radius’), (‘color_in_bgr’), ‘stroke_thickness’)
Writing text :
cv2.putText(imageObjectName, ‘TextContent’, (‘text_starting_point_coordinates’), ‘fontToBeUsed’, ‘font_size’, (‘text_color’, ‘text_thickness’, ‘line_type’)
Applications of drawing shapes on images :
- Drawing geometrical shapes can help us highlight the particular portions of an image.
- Geometrical shapes like line can help us point or identify particular regions in image.
- Writing text on certain regions of images can add description to that region.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Draw Color Filled Shapes in Turtle - Python
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV | Set-2 (Bitwise Operations on Binary Images)
- Concatenate images using OpenCV in Python
- Python | Grayscaling of Images using OpenCV
- Python | Denoising of colored images using opencv
- Drawing with Mouse on Images using Python-OpenCV
- Erosion and Dilation of images using OpenCV in python
- Stitching input images (panorama) using OpenCV with C++
- Python - Process images of a video using OpenCV
- Addition and Blending of images using OpenCV in Python
- Python OpenCV - Depth map from Stereo Images
- Measure similarity between images using Python-OpenCV
- Draw a triangle with centroid using OpenCV
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV | Set-1 (Addition and Subtraction)
- Python | Create video using multiple images using OpenCV
- Find and Draw Contours using OpenCV | Python
- Python | Draw rectangular shape and extract objects using OpenCV
- OpenCV - Facial Landmarks and Face Detection using dlib and OpenCV
- Equable Shapes
- How to Create custom Turtle shapes in Python?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.