Given a number n, write a function that returns true if n is divisible by 9, else false. The most simple way to check for n’s divisibility by 9 is to do n%9.
Another method is to sum the digits of n. If sum of digits is multiple of 9, then n is multiple of 9.
The above methods are not bitwise operators based methods and require use of % and /.
The bitwise operators are generally faster than modulo and division operators. Following is a bitwise operator based method to check divisibility by 9.
0 9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81 90 99
How does this work?
n/9 can be written in terms of n/8 using the following simple formula.
n/9 = n/8 - n/72
Since we need to use bitwise operators, we get the value of floor(n/8) using n>>3 and get value of n%8 using n&7. We need to write above expression in terms of floor(n/8) and n%8.
n/8 is equal to “floor(n/8) + (n%8)/8”. Let us write the above expression in terms of floor(n/8) and n%8
n/9 = floor(n/8) + (n%8)/8 - [floor(n/8) + (n%8)/8]/9 n/9 = floor(n/8) - [floor(n/8) - 9(n%8)/8 + (n%8)/8]/9 n/9 = floor(n/8) - [floor(n/8) - n%8]/9
From above equation, n is a multiple of 9 only if the expression floor(n/8) – [floor(n/8) – n%8]/9 is an integer. This expression can only be an integer if the sub-expression [floor(n/8) – n%8]/9 is an integer. The subexpression can only be an integer if [floor(n/8) – n%8] is a multiple of 9. So the problem reduces to a smaller value which can be written in terms of bitwise operators.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Check if a number is divisible by 8 using bitwise operators
- Check if a number is divisible by 17 using bitwise operators
- Check whether bitwise AND of a number with any subset of an array is zero or not
- Check whether a very large number of the given form is a multiple of 3.
- Bitwise Operators in C/C++
- Check if a number is positive, negative or zero using bit operators
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
- What are the differences between bitwise and logical AND operators in C/C++?
- Bitwise right shift operators in Java
- Toggle case of a string using Bitwise Operators
- Russian Peasant (Multiply two numbers using bitwise operators)
- Case conversion (Lower to Upper and Vice Versa) of a string using BitWise operators in C/C++
- Check whether bitwise OR of N numbers is Even or Odd
- Efficiently check whether n is a multiple of 4 or not
- Check if bitwise AND of any subset is power of two
Improved By : nitin mittal