Given a number n, write a function that returns true if n is divisible by 9, else false. The most simple way to check for n’s divisibility by 9 is to do n%9.
Another method is to sum the digits of n. If sum of digits is multiple of 9, then n is multiple of 9.
The above methods are not bitwise operators based methods and require use of % and /.
The bitwise operators are generally faster than modulo and division operators. Following is a bitwise operator based method to check divisibility by 9.
0 9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81 90 99
How does this work?
n/9 can be written in terms of n/8 using the following simple formula.
n/9 = n/8 - n/72
Since we need to use bitwise operators, we get the value of floor(n/8) using n>>3 and get value of n%8 using n&7. We need to write above expression in terms of floor(n/8) and n%8.
n/8 is equal to “floor(n/8) + (n%8)/8”. Let us write the above expression in terms of floor(n/8) and n%8
n/9 = floor(n/8) + (n%8)/8 - [floor(n/8) + (n%8)/8]/9 n/9 = floor(n/8) - [floor(n/8) - 9(n%8)/8 + (n%8)/8]/9 n/9 = floor(n/8) - [floor(n/8) - n%8]/9
From above equation, n is a multiple of 9 only if the expression floor(n/8) – [floor(n/8) – n%8]/9 is an integer. This expression can only be an integer if the sub-expression [floor(n/8) – n%8]/9 is an integer. The subexpression can only be an integer if [floor(n/8) – n%8] is a multiple of 9. So the problem reduces to a smaller value which can be written in terms of bitwise operators.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Compare two integers without using any Comparison operator
- Check if binary representation of a number is palindrome
- Swap two nibbles in a byte
- How to turn off a particular bit in a number?
- Bitwise Operators in C/C++
- How to swap two numbers without using a temporary variable?
- Find position of the only set bit
- Swap all odd and even bits
- Binary representation of a given number
- Find the element that appears once
- Find the two non-repeating elements in an array of repeating elements
- Position of rightmost set bit
- Efficient way to multiply with 7
- Program to find parity
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
Improved By : nitin mittal