Display Processor in Computer Graphics
Display Processor is the interpreter or a hardware that converts display processor code into picture. The Display Processor converts the digital information from CPU to analog values. The main purpose of the Digital Processor is to free the CPU from most of the graphic chores. The Display Processor digitize a picture definitions given in an application program into a set of pixel intensity values for storage in the frame buffer. This digitization process is called Scan Conversion.
Silent features of Display Processor:
- Display processors includes functions such as generating various line styles, displaying color area and performing transformations and manipulations on display object.
- Display Processor was used before the GPU (Graphics Display Processor).
- Video Controller is the most widely used Display device that is based on CRT (Cathode Ray Tube).
- In addition with the system memory, Display Processor have a separate memory area.
There are large number of Display Devices available to free the CPU from graphic chores:
- Refresh Cathode Ray Tube
- Random Scan and Raster Scan
- Color CRT Monitors
- Direct View Storage Tubes
- Flat Panel Display
- Lookup Table