dirs command shell builtin is used to display the list of currently remembered directories. By default, it includes the directory you are currently in. A directory can get into the list via pushd command followed by the dir name and can be removed via popd command.
dirs [-clpv] [+N] [-N]
It is useful for easy and quick flow through the directories on the command line. Suppose you want to go to a directory, you can just use the command pushd dir-name and you will be redirected to that directory. Also, you can simply come back to previous by using command popd
- c : Clears whole list of remembered directories.
- l : Do not show the path of your home directory in your path-name of a directory.
/home/vivek/Rocket -> ~/Rocket
- p : Display one entry per line.
- v : Display one entry per line prefixed with positional index starting with 0.
- +N : Displays Nth entry from left.
- -N : Displays Nth entry from right.
- Basic Functioning:
- pushd and popd:
- Using Options:
- Using Parameters: