Digital Subscriber Line (DSL, originally, digital subscriber loop) is a communication medium, which is used to transfer internet through copper wire telecommunication line.Along with cable internet, DSL is one of the most popular ways ISPs provide broadband internet access.
- Its aim is to maintain the high speed of the internet being transfered.
- If we ask that how we gonna achieve such thing i.e., both telephone and internet facility, then the answer is by using splitters or DSL filters(shown in below diagram).Basically, the use splitter is to splits the frequency and make sure that they can’t get interrupted.
Types of DSL –
- Symmetric DSL – SDSL, splits the upstream and downstream frequencies evenly, providing equal speeds to both uploading and downloading data transfer.This connection may provide 2 Mbps upstream and downstream.it is mostly preferred by small organizations.
- Asymmetric DSL – ADSL, provides a wider frequency range for downstream transfers, which offers several times faster downstream speeds.an ADSL connection may offer 20 Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps upstream, it is because most users download more data than they upload.
- No Additional Wiring – A DSL connection makes use of your existing telephone wiring, so you will not have to pay for expensive upgrades to your phone system.
- Cost Effective – DSL internet is a very cost-effective method and is best in connectivity
- Availability of DSL modems by the service providers.
- User can use the both telephone line and internet at a same time.And it is because the voice is transferred on other frequency and digital signals are transferred on others.
- User can choose between different connection speeds and pricing from various providers.
DSL Internet service only works over a limited physical distance and remains unavailable in many areas where the local telephone infrastructure does not support DSL technology. The service is not available everywhere. The connection is faster for receiving data than it is for sending data over the Internet.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to setup firewal in Linux?
- Computer Network | IP security (IPSec)
- Computer Network | System security
- Nokia Interview Experience | Set 5
- Computer Network | Dynamic NAT (on ASA)
- Computer Network | VLAN ACL (VACL)
- Computer Network | Static NAT (on ASA)
- Computer Network | Private VLAN
- Computer Network | Cisco ASA Redistribution example
- Image encryption using cellular automata