Digital Subscriber Line (DSL, originally, digital subscriber loop) is a communication medium, which is used to transfer internet through copper wire telecommunication line.Along with cable internet, DSL is one of the most popular ways ISPs provide broadband internet access.
- Its aim is to maintain the high speed of the internet being transfered.
- If we ask that how we gonna achieve such thing i.e., both telephone and internet facility, then the answer is by using splitters or DSL filters(shown in below diagram).Basically, the use splitter is to splits the frequency and make sure that they can’t get interrupted.
Types of DSL –
- Symmetric DSL – SDSL, splits the upstream and downstream frequencies evenly, providing equal speeds to both uploading and downloading data transfer.This connection may provide 2 Mbps upstream and downstream.it is mostly preferred by small organizations.
- Asymmetric DSL – ADSL, provides a wider frequency range for downstream transfers, which offers several times faster downstream speeds.an ADSL connection may offer 20 Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps upstream, it is because most users download more data than they upload.
- No Additional Wiring – A DSL connection makes use of your existing telephone wiring, so you will not have to pay for expensive upgrades to your phone system.
- Cost Effective – DSL internet is a very cost-effective method and is best in connectivity
- Availability of DSL modems by the service providers.
- User can use the both telephone line and internet at a same time.And it is because the voice is transferred on other frequency and digital signals are transferred on others.
- User can choose between different connection speeds and pricing from various providers.
DSL Internet service only works over a limited physical distance and remains unavailable in many areas where the local telephone infrastructure does not support DSL technology. The service is not available everywhere. The connection is faster for receiving data than it is for sending data over the Internet.
- Line Configuration in Computer Networks
- Computer Network | Integrated services digital network (ISDN)
- Ethical Hacking | Phishing
- Computer Network | Introduction To Subnetting
- Computer Network | Finding Network ID of a Subnet (using Subnet Mask)
- Computer Network | Evolution of Network
- Creating custom domain name instead of localhost in Ubuntu
- Use of Callbacks in Layered Architecture
- Computer Network | Network Simulator 3
- Dumpster Diving/Trashing
- Cryptography | One Time Password (OTP) algorithm
- What are Long-Polling, Websockets, Server-Sent Events (SSE) and Comet?
- Computer Network | Single band, Double band and Multi band Router
- Vishing (Voice Phishing)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.