This article explains and demonstrates various ways to hide the ActionBar in an Android Application.
Action Bar is a primary toolbar within the activity that may display the activity title, application-level navigation affordances, and other interactive items.
Although, Action Bar is important feature for android applications, but sometimes we have the need to hide it in either entire app, or some particular activity or during some particular work. There are various ways to hide Action Bar, demonstrated below:
Different ways to hide Action Bar:
- Hide Action Bar from entire App using styles.xml: If you want to hide Action Bar from the entire application (from all Activities and fragments), then you can use this method. Just go to res->values->styles.xml and change the base application to “Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar“.
Below is code snippet for this method and changes are made to styles.xml:
- Hide Action Bar from any particular activity using Java code: If you want to hide Action Bar from particular activity just add few lines of code in activity.java file as mentioned in code snippet below:
// Take instance of Action Bar
// using getSupportActionBar and
// if it is not Null
// then call hide function
- Hide Action Bar while user interaction using Window Manager:
Another way to hide Action Bar is through Window Manager by setting WindowManager flag. This approach makes a lot easier to hide the Action Bar when user interacts with your application. You can use “setFlags” function as described below in code .Also you have to se flags before setContentView() of Activity. Here is java file to hide Action Bar:
// set Windows Flags to Full Screen
// using setFlags function
Implementaion of the above approach:
- Create an Android app and choose any one of the above approach to hide the ActionBar.
- Define the activity. Here we simply print “GeeksforGeeks” on the screen using a Text View in Constraint Layout:
"Geeks For Geeks"
- Copy the Java code as per the approach chosen from above.
- Compile and run the app.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to change the color of Action Bar in an Android App?
- How to change Input Method Action Button in Android?
- How to programmatically hide Android soft keyboard
- MultiThreading in Android with Examples
- Android | What is Toast and How to use it with Examples
- ShimmerLayout in Android with Examples
- SoundPool in Android with Examples
- Shared Preferences in Android with Examples
- Screen Orientations in Android with Examples
- Android | Horizontal RecyclerView with Examples
- Android | Implicit and Explicit Intents with Examples
- Difference between Java and Kotlin in Android with Examples
- TextView widget in Android using Java with Examples
- Modal Bottom Sheet in Android with Examples
- EditText widget in Android using Java with Examples
- Firebase RealTime Database with Operations in Android with Examples
- Android | How to Create/Start a New Project in Android Studio?
- Android | Android Application File Structure
- Android | How to add Radio Buttons in an Android Application?
- Android | How to Request permissions in Android Application?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.