Documentation in Software Engineering is like an umbrella that comprise all written documents and materials that are required for software product’s development and use.
There are four different types of documentation manuals. Each documentation manuals is prepared in different phases of the software development.
Classification of Documentation Manual :
1. Analytics/ Specification Manual :
This manual is prepared during the analysis phase of the software development. In this manual, all the information that specifies the requirements of the software are described. Information in this manual are presented in the following :
- Formal specification –
In this, all the requirements of the software are describe in detail.
- Context diagram –
This diagram describes the context of the Software.
- Data flow diagram –
Data flow diagram is a visual representation of the flow of information within the software.
2. Design Manual :
In this manual, all the information regarding the design of the software and how a software should look. This manual is consist of the following :
- Flow charts –
It is a visual representation for representing the working procedure of the software.
- Entity relationship diagrams –
This is a type of flowchart that illustrates how “entities” such as people, objects, etc.
3. Implementation Manual :
This manual is prepared during the development phase of the software development. In this manual, all the information regarding the program code, algorithms and data structures that are used in the software. This manual is consist of the following :
- Source code listing –
It describes the code that is developed for that software.
- Cross reference listing –
It describes the reference of the code module.
4. Testing Manual :
This manual is prepared in the testing phase of the Software. The tester is used to checks the software for the best and worst cases of functioning and the result are stored. This manual is consist of the following :
- Test data –
These are the data which are used as input for processing the task in the software.
- Test results –
These data are the Output that is produced by the software for the provided Test Data.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Testing Documentation in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering | Introduction to Software Engineering
- Software Engineering | Requirements Engineering Process
- Software Engineering | Re-engineering
- Software Engineering | Reverse Engineering
- Difference between Software Engineering process and Conventional Engineering Processs
- Software Engineering | Comparison of different life cycle models
- Difference between Forward Engineering and Reverse Engineering
- Software Engineering | Halstead’s Software Metrics
- Software Engineering | Classification of Software Requirements
- Software Engineering | Classification of Software
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management Complexities
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Seven Principles of software testing
- Software Engineering | Agile Software Development
- Software Engineering | Software Maintenance
- Software Engineering | Jelinski Moranda software reliability model
- Software Engineering | Schick-Wolverton software reliability model
- Software Engineering | Software Business and Development
- Software Engineering | Characteristics of good Software
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.