Magnetic Tapes and Magnetic Disks are the types of magnetic memory. Both are called non-volatile storage and used for store data.
Magnetic tape contains thin plastic ribbon is used for storing data. It is a sequential access memory. So the data reas/write speed is slower. It is mainly used for data backups.
Magnetic Disk contains circular disk made of metal or plastic. Both side of disk is usually used for storing data. The disk is coated by magnetic oxide. The disk is divided into multiple concentric circles known as track and tracks are divided into sectors in which data are stored.
Let’s see the difference between Magnetic Tape and Magnetic Disk:
|S.NO||Magnetic Tape||Magnetic Disk|
|1.||The cost of magnetic tape is less.||The cost of magnetic disk is high.|
|2.||Reliability of magnetic tape is less.||Reliability of magnetic disk is more.|
|3.||Access time for magnetic tape is more.||Access time for magnetic disk is less.|
|4.||Data transfer rate for magnetic tape is comparatively less.||Data transfer rate for magnetic disk is more.|
|5.||Magnetic tape is used for backups.||Magnetic disk is used as a secondary storage.|
|6.||In magnetic tape data accessing rate is slow.||In magnetic disk data accessing rate is high or fast.|
|7.||In magnetic tape data can’t be updated after fed-up of data.||In magnetic disk data can be updated.||8.||Magnetic tape is more portable.||Magnetic disk is less portable.|
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Magnetic Random Access Memory (M-RAM)
- Difference between Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Magnetic Ink Character Reader (MICR)
- LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- C-LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- C-SCAN Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Secondary memory
- Difference between Random Access Memory (RAM) and Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Difference between Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Differences between JDK, JRE and JVM
- Differences between TCP and UDP
- Differences between Bootstrap and JQuery UI
- Differences between POP3 and IMAP
- Differences between Data paths
- Differences between Testing and Debugging
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.