Magnetic Tapes and Magnetic Disks are the types of magnetic memory. Both are called non-volatile storage and used for store data.
Magnetic tape contains thin plastic ribbon is used for storing data. It is a sequential access memory. So the data reas/write speed is slower. It is mainly used for data backups.
Magnetic Disk contains circular disk made of metal or plastic. Both side of disk is usually used for storing data. The disk is coated by magnetic oxide. The disk is divided into multiple concentric circles known as track and tracks are divided into sectors in which data are stored.
Let’s see the difference between Magnetic Tape and Magnetic Disk:
|S.NO||Magnetic Tape||Magnetic Disk|
|1.||The cost of magnetic tape is less.||The cost of magnetic disk is high.|
|2.||Reliability of magnetic tape is less.||Reliability of magnetic disk is more.|
|3.||Access time for magnetic tape is more.||Access time for magnetic disk is less.|
|4.||Data transfer rate for magnetic tape is comparatively less.||Data transfer rate for magnetic disk is more.|
|5.||Magnetic tape is used for backups.||Magnetic disk is used as a secondary storage.|
|6.||In magnetic tape data accessing rate is slow.||In magnetic disk data accessing rate is high or fast.|
|7.||In magnetic tape data can’t be updated after fed-up of data.||In magnetic disk data can be updated.|
|8.||Magnetic tape is more portable.||Magnetic disk is less portable.|
|9.||Magnetic tape contains reels of tape which is in form of strip of plastic.||Magnetic disk contains round platters which is made up of plastic or metal.|
|10.||In magnetic tape for data recording, magnetic material is coated on only one side of the tape.||While in magnetic disk for data recording, magnetic material is coated on only both side of the platters.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Magnetic Tape memory
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Difference between CD-ROM and Magnetic Disks
- Magnetic Random Access Memory (M-RAM)
- Difference between Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Magnetic Ink Character Reader (MICR)
- Difference between Rotational Latency and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk
- Difference between Hard Disk and Floppy Disk
- Difference between Transfer Time and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between Seek Time and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between Box and Yandex Disk
- C-LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- LOOK Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Difference between Yandex Disk and Zetta
- Difference between Backblaze B2 and Yandex Disk
- Difference between Jumpshare and Yandex Disk
- Difference between Dropbox and Yandex Disk
- Difference between CloudMe and Yandex Disk
- Difference between Amazon S3 and Yandex Disk
- Difference between Yandex Disk and ZumoDrive
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378