Prerequisite – ALU and Data Path
In this section, we shall discuss the difference between data-paths. These data-paths are:
- Single Cycle
- Multiple Cycle
In single cycle clock cycle time is long enough for instruction while in multi cycle and pipeline clock cycle time is short enough for the instructions.
Now, the difference among them are given below:
|Single Cycle||Multiple Cycle||Pipeline|
|Single Cycle has one CPI (clock cycle per instruction).||Multiple cycle have variable number of CPI (Clock Cycle Per Instruction).||In pipeline, there is fixed number of CPI (Clock Cycle Per Instruction).|
|Single cycle have no instructions subdivided.||Multiple cycle have arbitrary number of instructions subdivided.||pipeline also have instructions subdivided one step per pipeline stage.|
|In Single cycle, there is executed one instruction at the same time.||In Multiple cycle, there is also executed one instruction at same time.||But in pipeline, many instructions are executed at the same time.|
|Extra registers are not used in single cycle.||But in multiple cycle, extra registers are used.||Extra registers are also used in pipeline.|
|In single cycle, clock cycle time is long.||In multiple cycle, clock cycle time is short.||In pipeline, clock cycle time is also short.|
|There is no overlapping in single cycle.||In multiple cycle, there is also no overlapping.||In pipeline, there is overlap instruction execution.|
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Differences between Operational Database Systems and Data Warehouse
- Difference between Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Data Analyst
- Differences between JDK, JRE and JVM
- Differences between TCP and UDP
- Differences between Web Services and Web API
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C++
- Differences between Testing and Debugging
- Differences between Bootstrap and JQuery UI
- What are the differences between HTTP, FTP, and SMTP?
- Differences between IPv4 and IPv6
- Differences between POP3 and IMAP
- Differences between Synthesized and Inherited Attributes
- Differences between Interface and Class in Java
- Differences between Interface and Integration Testing
- Differences between Intradomain and Interdomain Routing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.