Difference between Windows and Android
1. Windows :
Windows is a group of various proprietary graphical operating systems which is provided by Microsoft Incorporation. It is also known as Microsoft Windows. It currently includes Windows NT and Windows IoT as members of its family. Earlier it included Windows 9x, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone which are no longer in use. It is the most used operating system in personal computers. The first version of Windows was launched by Microsoft in 1985. The most recent version of Windows for personal computers is Windows 11.
Features of Windows:
- Desktop Environment: Windows is known for its desktop environment, which provides users with a taskbar, start menu, and desktop icons.
- Multiple Windows: Windows allows users to open multiple windows and applications simultaneously, making multitasking easier.
- Compatibility: Windows is compatible with a wide range of software applications and hardware devices, making it a versatile operating system for various types of computing devices.
- Security: Windows provides various security features, including built-in antivirus software, firewalls, and user account control.
- File Explorer: Windows has a file explorer that allows users to browse and manage their files and folders easily.
Android is a mobile operating system which is provided by Google. It is based on the modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software. It is specifically designed for touchscreen mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. It was developed using C, Java, C++, and other languages. The first version of Android was launched by Google in 2008. The latest stable version of Android is Android 13. It is provided totally free of cost. It is the most used operating system overall.
Features of Android:
- Open Source: Android is an open-source operating system, which means that the source code is available for developers to modify and customize.
- App Ecosystem: Android has a vast ecosystem of third-party apps that can be downloaded and installed from the Google Play Store.
- Customization: Android allows users to customize their devices by changing themes, wallpapers, and icons, among other things.
- Google Services: Android is closely integrated with Google’s services, such as Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Maps.
- Notification System: Android has a robust notification system that allows users to see and respond to notifications from the lock screen and the notification shade.
Here are a few similarities:
- Multitasking: Both Windows and Android allow users to multitask by running multiple applications simultaneously.
- Notifications: Both Windows and Android have a notification system that displays incoming messages, alerts, and other notifications.
- File Management: Both Windows and Android have a built-in file manager that allows users to browse and manage files on their device.
- Connectivity: Both Windows and Android support connectivity options such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB connections.
- Cloud Storage: Both Windows and Android allow users to store their files and data in the cloud using services such as OneDrive and Google Drive.
- Cortana and Google Assistant: Both Windows and Android have digital assistants that can perform tasks such as setting reminders, searching the web, and sending messages.
- Updates: Both Windows and Android receive regular updates that improve performance, fix bugs, and add new features.
Difference between Windows and Android are as follows:
|It was developed and is owned by Microsoft Incorporation.||It was developed and is owned by Google LLC.|
|It was launched in 1985.||It was launched in 2008.|
|It is designed for PC of all companies.||It is specifically designed for mobile devices.|
|Current stable version is Windows 11.||Current stable version is Android 13.|
|Kernel type is Hybrid with modules here.||Kernel type is Linux-based.|
|Preferred license is Proprietary and Source-available.||Preferred license is Apache 2.0 and GNU GPLv2.|
|It charges for the original version.||It is free of cost as it is inbuilt is smartphones.|
|It is the most used operating system in personal computers.||It is the most used operating system overall.|
|It is for workstation, personal computers, media center, tablets and embedded systems.||Its target system type is smartphones and tablet computers.|