Wifi(stands for Wireless Fidelity) is a wireless communication technology that is used for LAN(Local Area Networks). Wifi uses electromagnetic waves under the radio frequency bands 2.4GHz for wireless communication. Wifi is established by using wireless device in order to create hotspot. There would be hotspot without wifi. Wifi is more secure and flexible in nature. It can be used to connect gaming consoles, printers, computers etc.
Hotspot is created using wifi. The hotspot provides internet to wireless devices by using wifi. A hotspot is created using an access point device, but in normal use, a hotspot and an access point can mean the same. An access point is usually connected to a gateway or router, that is connected to the Internet. Hotspot are less secure than private wifi because they are commonly used in public places.
Let’s see the difference between wifi and hotspot:-
|1.||Wifi is a wireless communication technology that is used for LAN(Local Area Networks).||Whereas the hotspot provides internet to wireless devices by using wifi.|
|2.||There is no hotspot without wifi.||Whereas a hotspot is created using wifi.|
|3.||Wifi is used between wireless devices and an access point for interconnection.||While the hotspot is created using an access point device that is connected to the router.|
|4.||Wifi provides high speed as compared to hotspot in the case of multiple users.||The hotspot offers lower speed than wifi in the case of many users.|
|5.||Wifi services are provided by the local area Internet service provider.||Whereas the hotspot services are largely provided by cellular or phone corporations.|
|6.||Wifi is more secure in comparison to hotspot.||Hotspots are less secure than private wifi as they are typically used in public places.|
|7.||In wifi, electromagnetic waves under the radio frequency band 2.4GHz are used for communication.||Whereas in the hotspot, wifi technology is used in order to connect the devices to the access point for sharing the internet.|
|8.||Basically the Wifi is at the end of receiver of internet services.||Whereas Hotspot is at the end of donor of internet services.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between WiFi Repeater and WiFi Extender
- Difference between WiFi Extender and WiFi Booster
- Difference between USB Tethering and Mobile Hotspot
- Difference between LiFi and WiFi
- Difference between WiFi and 3G Technology
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Difference between WiFi and WiMax
- Wifi protected setup (WPS)
- Wifi protected access (WPA)
- How to Hack a Open WiFi?
- Indoor Navigation using WiFi
- Difference between IBM DB2 and MS SQL
- Difference between ZIP and RAR
- Difference between IoT and M2M
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference Between SMO and SEO
- Difference between PCA VS t-SNE
- Difference between SDN and NFV
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference Between DAS and SAN
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.