A server is a central repository where information and computer programs are held and accessed by the programmer within the network. Web server and Application server are kinds of the server which employed to deliver sites and therefore the latter deals with application operations performed between users and back-end business applications of the organization.
Web Server: It is a computer program that accepts the request for data and sends the specified documents. Web server may be a computer where the online content is kept. Essentially internet server is employed to host sites however there exist different web servers conjointly like recreation, storage, FTP, email, etc.
Example of Web Servers:
- Apache Tomcat
Application server: It encompasses Web container as well as EJB container. Application servers organize the run atmosphere for enterprises applications. Application server may be a reasonably server that mean how to put operating system, hosting the applications and services for users, IT services and organizations. In this, user interface similarly as protocol and RPC/RMI protocols are used.
Examples of Application Server:
Difference between web server and application server:
|S.NO||Web Server||Application Server|
|1.||Web server encompasses web container only.||While application server encompasses Web container as well as EJB container.|
|2.||Web server is useful or fitted for static content.||Whereas application server is fitted for dynamic content.|
|3.||Web server consumes or utilizes less resources.||While application server utilize more resources.|
|4.||Web servers arrange the run environment for web applications.||While application servers arrange the run environment for enterprises applications.|
|5.||In web servers, multithreading is not supported.||While in application server, multithreading is supported.|
|6.||Web server’s capacity is lower than application server.||While application server’s capacity is higher than web server.|
|7.||In web server, HTML and HTTP protocols are used.||While in this, GUI as well as HTTP and RPC/RMI protocols are used.|
- Difference between Windows application and Web application
- Difference between Web Content, Web Structure, and Web Usage Mining
- Difference between Web Browser and Web Server
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Difference between Apache Tomcat server and Apache web server
- How to choose Web Hosting Server and Web Domain ?
- Difference Between Web application and Website
- Difference between Web Scraping and Web Crawling
- Difference between Web Designer and Web Developer
- Difference between Deep Web and Dark Web
- Differences between Web Services and Web API
- How to Build Progressive Web Application and Submit it to the Play Store?
- Progressive Web App - A Combination of Native and Web App
- 10 Web Development and Web Design Facts That You Should Know
- 5 Must Have Tools For Web Application Penetration Testing
- How to choose a Technology Stack for Web Application Development ?
- Create a web server and run PHP script on it using Raspberry Pi
- Web Server and Its Type
- Build a Simple static file web server in Node
- Node.js | Web Server
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.