A server is a central repository where information and computer programs are held and accessed by the programmer within the network. Web server and Application server are kinds of the server which employed to deliver sites and therefore the latter deals with application operations performed between users and back-end business applications of the organization.
Web Server: It is a computer program that accepts the request for data and sends the specified documents. Web server may be a computer where the online content is kept. Essentially internet server is employed to host sites however there exist different web servers conjointly like recreation, storage, FTP, email, etc.
Example of Web Servers:
- Apache Tomcat
Application server: It encompasses Web container as well as EJB container. Application servers organize the run atmosphere for enterprises applications. Application server may be a reasonably server that mean how to put operating system, hosting the applications and services for users, IT services and organizations. In this, user interface similarly as protocol and RPC/RMI protocols are used.
Examples of Application Server:
Difference between web server and application server:
|S.NO||Web Server||Application Server|
|1.||Web server encompasses web container only.||While application server encompasses Web container as well as EJB container.|
|2.||Web server is useful or fitted for static content.||Whereas application server is fitted for dynamic content.|
|3.||Web server consumes or utilizes less resources.||While application server utilize more resources.|
|4.||Web servers arrange the run environment for web applications.||While application servers arrange the run environment for enterprises applications.|
|5.||In web servers, multithreading is not supported.||While in application server, multithreading is supported.|
|6.||Web server’s capacity is lower than application server.||While application server’s capacity is higher than web server.|
|7.||In web server, HTML and HTTP protocols are used.||While in this, GUI as well as HTTP and RPC/RMI protocols are used.|
- Difference between Server and Workstation
- Difference between Web Browser and Web Server
- Difference between Client-Server and Peer-to-Peer Network
- How to identify server IP address in PHP ?
- Comparisons between Oracle vs SQL Server
- AWS EC2 Instance Setup with Apache Server
- Create a web server and run PHP script on it using Raspberry Pi
- How to install Apache server in Ubuntu ?
- How to move a file into a different folder on the server using PHP?
- Why is Parse Server the future of Backend As A Service?
- Embedding Tomcat Server in Maven Project
- How to save an HTML 5 Canvas as an image on the server ?
- Build a Simple static file web server in Node
- PHP program to fetch data from localhost server database using XAMPP
- Nodejs | Automatic restart NodeJs server with nodemon
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.