Web mining is an application of the Data Mining technique that is used to find information patterns from the web data. Web Mining helps to improve the power of web search engines by identifying the web pages and classifying web documents.
Types of Web Mining :
1. Web Content Mining –
Web Content Mining can be used for the mining of useful data, information, and knowledge from web page content. Web content mining performs scanning and mining of the text, images, and group of web pages according to the content of the input, by displaying the list in search engines.
There are two approaches that are used for Web Content Mining :
- (i) Agent-based approach :
This approach involves intelligent systems. It usually relies on autonomous agents, that can identify websites that are relevant.
- (ii) Data-based approach :
Data-Based approach is used to organize semi-structured data present on the internet into structured data.
2. Web Structure Mining –
Web Structure Mining can be used to discover link structure of hyperlinks. The purpose of Structure Mining is to produce the structural summary of websites and similar web pages. Interested in the structure of hyperlinks within the web. This type of mining is applied at the level of document and at hyperlink level. Web Structure Mining plays a very important role in the mining process.
3. Web Usage Mining –
Web Usage Mining is used for mining weblog records (access information of web pages). It helps to discover user access patterns of web pages. There are many available research projects and tools that analyze those patterns for different purposes. There are mainly four techniques of mining applied to web mining namely, Association Rule Mining, Sequential Pattern, Clustering, and Classification.
Difference Between Web Content, Web Structure, and Web Usage Mining :
|Criterion||Web Content||Web Structure||Web Usage|
|IR VIEW||DB VIEW|
|View of data||
||Hypertext documents||Link structure||
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference Between Data Mining and Web Mining
- Difference Between Data Mining and Text Mining
- Web Mining
- Difference between Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data Science and Data Mining
- Difference Between Big Data and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data mining and Machine learning
- Difference Between Data Mining and Statistics
- Difference Between Data Mining and Data Visualization
- Difference between Business Intelligence and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data Mining and Data Analysis
- Difference between Data Mining and OLAP
- Difference between Spatial and Temporal Data Mining
- Difference between Text Mining and Natural Language Processing
- Difference between Single Bus Structure and Double Bus Structure
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Relationship between Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Redundancy and Correlation in Data Mining
- Tasks and Functionalities of Data Mining
- Data Mining: Data Attributes and Quality
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.