1. Vertical Searching :
Vertical searching refers to a topical searching as it searches in a specific part of internet rather than the whole internet. In this searching, a specific media type or content is searched and the search engine gives the result specific to that media type or content only.
In a search related to corona virus under google news section, only news articles will come. Similarly, a search about corona virus under google image will give only images and pictures related to that topic. So here the searching and it’s outcome is very specific. That is the reason why this searching is also called as “Specialty” or “Topical”.
2. Horizontal Searching :
Horizontal searching refers to a generic type of searching as it searches the whole internet covering the whole web of wide range of media topics and media subjects.
A search related to corona virus in google will give a mixed result of various contents which include news, videos, images at a single place and also results in a number of sites related to this which are not specific in media type or content, unlike that in vertical searching.
Difference between Vertical search and Horizontal search :
|Serial No.||Vertical searching||Horizontal searching|
|1.||Vertical searching refers to searching of a specific media type or content.||Horizontal searching refers to a general type of searching which does not refer to specific media type or content|
|2.||It is thought as a specialty or topical search.||It is thought as a general search.|
|3.||It searches specific media types/contents or some limited specific sites as per the topic.||It searches the whole internet and results in images, videos and number of sites at a time as a mixed search result.|
|4.||Serching different sections like image, news, videos on Google, Yahoo etc. are some examples of vertical searching.||Google, Yahoo are some examples of horizontal searching.|
|5.||In this searching, the volume is not so high as compared to horizontal searching.||In this searching volume is very high as compared to vertical searching.|
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
- Difference between HTML and HTTP
- Difference between http:// and https://
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- What's difference between Microcontroller (µC) and Microprocessor (µP)?
- What's the difference between Scripting and Programming Languages?
- What’s difference between “array” and “&array” for “int array” ?
- What's difference between char s and char *s in C?
- Difference between Ping and Traceroute
- What’s difference between 1's Complement and 2's Complement?
- Difference between C structures and C++ structures
- Difference between Structure and Union in C
- Difference between strlen() and sizeof() for string in C
- Difference between LONGs vs LOBs
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : sharmahs