1. UNIX :
UNIX is a powerful, multi-user and multitasking operating system originally developed at AT & T Bell Laboratories. This operating system is very popular among the scientific, engineering and academic due to its most appreciating features like flexibility, portability, network capabilities etc.
2. Windows :
Microsoft window is a most demanding Graphical user Interface (GUI) based operating system that replaces all the command line based functions to the user friendly screens. Microsoft introduced a series of versions with the latest functions.
Difference between UNIX and Windows Operating System :
|1.||Open Source Code||It is an open source code.||It is not an open source code.|
|2.||Stability||It is more stable.||As, multiple programs are running. So it is unstable.|
|3.||Case-sensitivity||It is case sensitive.||It is not a case sensitive.|
|4.||File-extension||In this, extensions have not affect on the type of file.||In this, certain file extensions are used to identify the type of file.|
|5.||Device drive||In this, several ways are used to manage the device drivers.||After the installation of Windows, the various device-drivers packages provide interactive GUI for the configuration of devices.|
|6.||Recovery||We cannot recover our data.||In this, we can recover our data from the recycle-bin, because in this after the deletion of data it will store in the recycle-bin.|
|7.||Processing Power||It has greater processing power.||It has less processing power.|
|8.||Security||It has greater in-built security.||It has less in-built security.|
|9.||Virus Attacks||It has interface between user and kernel known as shell, so it does not face any virus attack.||In this, we don’t have shell interface. User direct interact with hardware and it enhances the attack of virus.|
|10.||File-system||In this, file system is represented as a hierarchical tree under the same root. There is no drive system like drive C, drive D etc.||In this, file system can have many hierarchies; for example, different file system for each partitions and these partitions are represented as drive alphabet letters like as C: D: etc.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Unix File System
- Traps and System Calls in Operating System (OS)
- Compare file system in Windows and Linux
- System Protection in Operating System
- User View Vs Hardware View Vs System View of Operating System
- System Programs in Operating System
- File System Implementation in Operating System
- Xv6 Operating System -adding a new system call
- Difference between Operating System and Kernel
- Difference between Application Software and Operating System
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between DOS and Windows
- Difference between Linux and Windows
- Difference between Windows and AIX
- Difference between Windows and FreeBSD
- Difference between Windows and Android
- Difference between Windows and Chrome OS
- Difference between Windows and macOS
- Difference between Windows and iOS
- Difference between Windows and Haiku
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.