Ubuntu is a Linux based Operating System and belongs to the Debian family of Linux. As it is Linux based, so it is freely available for use and is open source. It was developed by a team “Canonical” lead by Mark Shuttleworth. The term “ubuntu” is derived from an African word meaning ‘humanity to others’. The Chinese version of Ubuntu is used for running the world’s fastest supercomputer. Google’s self-driving car uses the stripped version of ubuntu.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux or RHEL, is a Linux-based operating system that is designed for businesses. It is the successor of Fedora’s core. It is also an open-source distribution like a fedora and other Linux operating systems. It is more stable than Fedora but less cutting-edge as compared to Fedora. Red Hat is generally sold through the annual and monthly subscription which includes the technical support and Red Hat network. It was introduced in 1994 and it is mainly developed for corporate purposes. It is more stable among all the other Linux based operating systems.
Difference between Ubuntu and Red Hat Linux
|S.NO.||Ubuntu||Red Hat Linux/RHEL|
|1.||Developed by canonical.||Developed by Red Hat Sofware.|
|2.||Ubuntu was initially released on 20 October 2004.||RedHat was initially released on 13 may 1995.|
|3.||Ubuntu is used for desktops or on server.||RHEL can be used on desktops, on servers, in hypervisors or in the cloud.|
|4.||Latest Ubuntu consists of the Gnome environment by default, though it allows you to change the same.||Latest RHEL consists of Gnome based on the GTK+ 2 graphical toolkit environment by default, though it allows you to change the same.|
|5.||Ubuntu is for general use or server use.||RHEL is generally business oriented or for commercial use.|
|6.||Ubuntu is a good option for beginners to Linux.||RHEL is a good option for those who are intermediate in Linux and using it for commercial purposes.|
- Difference Between Black Hat SEO and White Hat SEO
- Difference between white hat SEO and gray hat SEO
- Installation and Configuration of Yum in Red Hat Linux 8
- Difference between Fedora and Red Hat
- Difference Between Ubuntu and Kali Linux
- Difference Between Ubuntu and Parrot OS Linux
- How to Install TeamViewer on Linux/Ubuntu?
- Difference between Ubuntu One and ShareFile
- Difference between HCL Connections and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Jumpshare and Ubuntu One
- Difference between iCloud and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Google Drive and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Dropbox and Ubuntu One
- Difference between CloudMe and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Box and Ubuntu One
- Difference between ZumoDrive and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Zetta and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Wuala and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Yandex Disk and Ubuntu One
- Difference between Wasabi and Ubuntu One
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.