1. Token Ring :
In the token ring a token ring passes over a physical ring. Token ring is defined by IEEE 802.5 standard. In token ring, there is a station and a special frame called token. A station in token ring can transmit data frame if it contains a token. After the successful transmission of data frame token are pointed(issued). Token ring is a Star shaped topology and handles priority in which some nodes may give priority to the token.
2. Ethernet :
IEEE 802.3 defines the Ethernet. It uses CSMA/CD mechanism. It means that if many stations exist at the same time to talk, all stations will be closed. To resume them, wait for a random time. Unlike token ring it doesn’t employ any priorities. And it is less costly than token ring network.
Let’s see the difference between the token ring and Ethernet:-
|1.||In the token ring, the token passing mechanism is used.||While Ethernet uses CSMA/CD(Carrier-sense multiple access/collision detection) mechanism.|
|2.||Token ring is defined by IEEE 802.5 standard.||Whereas Ethernet is defined by IEEE 802.3 standard.|
|3.||Token ring is deterministic.||While it is non-deterministic.|
|4.||Token ring is a Star shaped topology.||While Ethernet is a Bus shaped topology.|
|5.||The token ring handles priority in which some nodes may give priority to the token.||While Ethernet does not employ priority.|
|6.||Token ring costs more than Ethernet.||While Ethernet cost seventy percent less than token ring.||7.||In the token ring telephone wire is used.||While in Ethernet coaxial cable(wire) is used.|
|8.||The token ring contains routing information.||While Ethernet does not contain routing information.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Token Bus and Token Ring Network
- Problems with Token Ring
- Efficiency Of Token Ring
- Token Ring frame format
- Minimum length of Token Ring
- Difference between Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet
- Difference between Token based and Non-Token based Algorithms in Distributed System
- Difference between Straight Ring Counter and Twisted Ring Counter
- Difference between Ethernet and LAN
- Difference between Wi-Fi and Ethernet
- Difference between Star and Ring Topology
- Difference between Ring Topology and Bus Topology in Computer Networks
- Difference between Ring Topology and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Ring Topology and Tree Topology
- LAN Technologies | ETHERNET
- Ethernet Frame Format
- Token Bus (IEEE 802.4)
- Mod 2 Ring Counter (with D flip-flop)
- Ring Counter in Digital Logic
- Difference Between DAS and SAN
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.