Prerequisite – Software Concepts
System Software is the type of software which is the interface between application software and system. Low level languages are used to write the system software. System Software maintain the system resources and give the path for application software to run. An important thing is that without system software, system can not run. It is a general purpose software.
Application Software is he type of software which runs as per user request. It runs on the platform which is provide by system software. High level languages are used to write the application software. Its a specific purpose software.
The main difference between System Software and Application Software is that without system software, system can not run on the other hand without application software, system always runs.
|S.NO||System Software||Application Software|
|1.||System Software maintain the system resources and give the path for application software to run.||Application software is built for specific tasks.|
|2.||Low level languages are used to write the system software.||While high level languages are used to write the application software.|
|3.||Its a general purpose software.||While its a specific purpose software.|
|4.||Without system software, system can’t run.||While without application software system always runs.|
|5.||System software runs when system is turned on and stop when system is turned off.||While application software runs as per the user’s request.|
|6.||Example of system software are operating system, etc.||Example of application software are Photoshop, VLC player etc.|
|7.||System Software programming is complex than application software.||Application software programming is simpler as comparison to system software.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Windows application and Web application
- Difference between Application Software and Operating System
- Difference between Management Information System (MIS) and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Difference between Open-Loop Control System and Closed-Loop Control System
- Difference between Local File System (LFS) and Distributed File System (DFS)
- Difference between Batch Processing System and Online Processing System
- Difference Between Web server and Application server
- Difference between a Java Application and a Java Applet
- Difference Between Web application and Website
- Difference between System Architecture and Software Architecture
- Allocating kernel memory (buddy system and slab system)
- Traps and System Calls in Operating System (OS)
- Difference between FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS File System
- Difference between Traditional and Reactive Computer System
- Difference Between Digital And Analog System
- Difference between System Unit and CPU
- Difference between Unit Testing and System Testing
- Difference between Loosely Coupled and Tightly Coupled Multiprocessor System
- Difference between Operating System and Kernel
- Difference between Database System and Data Warehouse
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378