Prerequisite – Software Concepts
System Software is the type of software which is the interface between application software and system. Low level languages are used to write the system software. System Software maintain the system resources and give the path for application software to run. An important thing is that without system software, system can not run. It is a general purpose software.
Application Software is he type of software which runs as per user request. It runs on the platform which is provide by system software. High level languages are used to write the application software. Its a specific purpose software.
The main difference between System Software and Application Software is that without system software, system can not run on the other hand without application software, system always runs.
|S.NO||System Software||Application Software|
|1.||System Software maintain the system resources and give the path for application software to run.||Application software is built for specific tasks.|
|2.||Low level languages are used to write the system software.||While high level languages are used to write the application software.|
|3.||Its a general purpose software.||While its a specific purpose software.|
|4.||Without system software, system can’t run.||While without application software system always runs.|
|5.||System software runs when system is turned on and stop when system is turned off.||While application software runs as per the user’s request.|
|6.||Example of system software are operating system, etc.||Example of application software are Photoshop, VLC player etc.|
- Difference between Application Software and Operating System
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Is There Any Difference Between Software Developer And Software Engineer?
- Difference between Management Information System (MIS) and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Difference between Hardware and Software
- Difference between Traditional and Agile Software Development
- Difference between System Unit and CPU
- Difference Between Digital And Analog System
- Difference between Operating System and Kernel
- Difference between Database System and Data Warehouse
- Difference between FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS File System
- Difference Between Web server and Application server
- Difference between Software Testing and Embedded Testing
- Difference between Loosely Coupled and Tightly Coupled Multiprocessor System
- Difference between Unit Testing and System Testing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.