Prerequisite – Generations of Computer
Supercomputers are the largest in size and the most costly computers in the world. Seymour Cray invent the Supercomputer. Super computers are used for large and complex mathematical computations. Supercomputer’s speed is more than Mainframe computers so they can execute billions of instructions or floating point instructions within a second.
Mainframe Computers are less costly, small in size and slower in speed than the super computers. are used as a storage for large database and serve as a maximum number of users simultaneously. The first successful mainframe computer is invented by IBM. Mainframe computer’s speed is comparatively less than Supercomputers. In this millions of instructions are executed simultaneously.
Let’s see the difference between Supercomputer and Mainframe Computer:
|1.||Super computers are used for large and complex mathematical computations.||While Mainframe computers are used as a storage for large database and serve as a maximum number of users simultaneously.|
|2.||Supercomputer’s speed is more than Mainframe computer. It can execute billions of instructions within a second.||Mainframe computer’s speed is comparatively less than Supercomputers. In this millions of instructions are executed simultaneously.|
|3.||Supercomputers are the largest computers.||Mainframe computers smaller than supercomputer in size.|
|4.||Supercomputers are the most costly in the worlds.||Mainframe computers are less costly than supercomputers.|
|5.||In the present, the supercomputers have Linux and their variants operating systems.||While Mainframe computers can have multiple operating systems simultaneously.|
|6.||Seymour Cray invent the Supercomputer.||The first successful mainframe computer is invented by IBM.|
- Difference between Mainframe and Minicomputer
- Difference between Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Differences between Computer Architecture and Computer Organization
- Difference between Numerical Control (NC) and Computer Numerical Control (CNC)
- What happens when we turn on computer?
- Purpose of an Interrupt in Computer Organization
- Cache Memory in Computer Organization
- Computer scientist vs Programmer vs Developer vs Hackers
- Most asked Computer Science Subjects Interview Questions in Amazon, Microsoft, Flipkart
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between C and C++
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between JSP and ASP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai