The main difference between the Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) is that Serial Line Internet Protocol is the Predecessor protocol of Point-to-Point Protocol. On the other hand, Point-to-Point Protocol is the Successor protocol of Serial Line Internet Protocol.
Let’s see that difference between SLIP and PPP:
|1.||SLIP stands for Serial Line Internet Protocol.||PPP stands for Point-to-Point Protocol.|
|2.||SLIP is a Predecessor protocol of PPP.||While It is a Successor protocol of SLIP.|
|3.||SLIP covers the internet protocol packet.||While it covers the datagram.|
|4.||SLIP does not provide authentication.||While PPP provides authentication.|
|5.||The derived Protocol from SLIP is Compressed SLIP.||While the derived protocol from PPP is PPP over Ethernet and PPP over ATM.|
|6.||SLIP is a static IP addressing assignment.||While it is a dynamic IP addressing assignment.|
|7.||In SLIP data is transferred in synchronous form.||While in this, data is transferred in both synchronous and asynchronous form.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Differences between PointToPoint and Publish/subscribe model in JMS
- Difference Between High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Difference between Serial and Parallel Transmission
- Difference between Serial Port and Parallel Ports
- Difference between Serial Adder and Parallel Adder
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Difference between File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Difference between Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Antivirus and Internet Security
- Difference between Internet and Intranet
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Difference between Internet and Extranet
- Difference Between Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence
- Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
- Difference Between Go-Back-N and Selective Repeat Protocol
- Difference between Stateless and Stateful Protocol
- Difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)
- Main difference between Timestamp protocol and Thomos write rule in DBMS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378