There are two methods are used for transferring data between computers which are given below: Serial Transmission, and Parallel Transmission.
In Serial Transmission, data-bit flows from one computer to another computer in bi-direction. In this transmission one bit flows at one clock pulse. In Serial Transmission, 8 bits are transferred at a time having a start and stop bit.
In Parallel Transmission, many bits are flow together simultaneously from one computer to another computer. Parallel Transmission is faster than serial transmission to transmit the bits. Parallel transmission is used for long distance.
Difference between Serial and Parallel Transmission:
|S.NO||Serial Transmission||Parallel Transmission|
|1.||In serial transmission, data(bit) flows in bi-direction.||In Parallel Transmission, data flows in multiple lines.|
|2.||Serial Transmission is cost efficient.||Parallel Transmission is not cost efficient.|
|3.||In serial transmission, one bit transferred at one clock pulse.||In Parallel Transmission, eight bits transferred at one clock pulse.|
|4.||Serial Transmission is slow in comparison of Parallel Transmission.||Parallel Transmission is fast in comparison of Serial Transmission.|
|5.||Generally, Serial Transmission is used for long distance.||Generally, Parallel Transmission is used for short distance.|
- Difference between Serial Port and Parallel Ports
- Difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous Transmission
- Difference between Broadband and Baseband Transmission
- Difference between Simplex, Half duplex and Full Duplex Transmission Modes
- Difference between Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Difference between Parallel Computing and Distributed Computing
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) in Computer Network
- Asynchronous serial data transfer
- Types of Transmission Media
- Transmission Modes in Computer Networks (Simplex, Half-Duplex and Full-Duplex)
- foreach() loop vs Stream foreach() vs Parallel Stream foreach()
- Difference between 4G and 5G
- Difference Between BFS and DFS
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between JSP and ASP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Nihal_gupta