SEO is the act of improving the visibility of a website outcomes on specific search engines through unpaid forms of online advertising. It is used to increase traffic to a website by improving its rank on search engine page.
SEM is the act of improving the visibility of a website outcomes on specific search engines through paid advertisements. It includes Search Engine Optimization, contextual advertising, AdSense, social networking, pay-per-click (PPC), AdWords, and so on.
|SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.||SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing.|
|It is a part of SEM.||It is used for traffic generation and is a superset of SEO.|
|Result will take time to appear.||Immediate result.|
|Suitable for low-budget companies.||Suitable for big-budget companies.|
|No need to pay for website clicks.||Amount is paid for website clicks.|
|Traffic potential is unlimited.||Traffic potential is limited depending on the budget.|
|It is inexpensive.||It is expensive.|
|Long-term benefits.||Short-term benefits.|
|Example: Backlinks creation||Example: Google Ads|
- Only 30% of new businesses state they use SEO for marketing. A simple 12% use PPC promotions(TNW News).
- 47% of digital marketers state SEO is one of their best strategies but 39% also recognize it as one of the most difficult.(TNW News)
- Difference Between Black Hat SEO and White Hat SEO
- Difference between white hat SEO and gray hat SEO
- White Hat SEO and Black Hat SEO
- Difference Between ON Page and OFF Page SEO
- Difference Between SMO and SEO
- Difference between Crawling and Indexing in Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Difference between Online marketing and Offline marketing in SEO
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) | Basics
- Best Link Building Tools for SEO - Get More Backlinks
- Types of SEO
- SEO - An Indispensable Tool
- 10 Reasons Why SEO is Important for a Website
- Backlinks in SEO
- Black Hat SEO - Is It Really Worth?
- Top 20 SEO Trends in 2020
- Latest 5 SEO Updates That You Must Know in 2020
- 7 Best SEO Strategies for Ecommerce Website
- What is SEO Page Title Tag?
- Why Web Developers Should Learn SEO?
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.