1. Routing Information Protocol (RIP) :
In RIP, distance vector routing (DVR) protocol is used for data/packet transmission. In Routing Information protocol (RIP), the maximum number of Hop is 15, because it prevents routing loops from source to destination. Mechanism like split horizon, route poisoning and holdown are used to prevent from incorrect or wrong routing information. Sally Floyd and Van Jacobson  suggest that, without slight randomization of the timer, the timers are synchronized overtime. Compared to other routing protocol, RIP is poor and limit size i.e., small network. The main advantage of using RIP is it uses the UDP (User Datagram Protocol).
2. Enhanced Interior Gateway Protocol (EIGRP) :
EIGRP stands for which allows router to share information to the neighboring routers which are within the same area. Instead of sending the entire information to the neighboring router, the information which is needed are shared which reduces the workload and amount of data needs to be transmitted. It designed by CISCO system which can be used only in CISCO routers, but in 2013 it became open source, so it can be used in other router. Neighbor table and Topology table are maintained by the EIGRP.
Difference between RIP and EIGRP :
|1.||RIP stands for Routing Information Protocol.||EIGRP stands for Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol.|
|2.||RIP works on Bellman Ford algorithm.||EIGRP works on DUAL(Diffusing Update Algorithm) Algorithm.|
|3.||It is a industry standard dynamic routing protocol.||It is a Cisco standard routing protocol.|
|4.||It is basically use for smaller size organization.||It is basically use for lager size organization as compared to RIP.|
|5.||RIP is a distance vector protocol.||EIGRP is derived from Integrated Gateway Routing Protocol.|
|6.||It allow maximum hop count upto 15.||It allow maximum hop count upto 255.|
|7.||It’s administrative distance is 120.||It’s administrative distance is 90.|
|8.||It is not a more intelligent dynamic routing protocol.||It is a more intelligent routing protocol than RIP.|
|9.||It calculates the metric in terms of Hop Count.||It calculates the metric in terms of bandwidth and delay.|
|10.||RIP routing protocol creates two table in the router: Routing Table, and Topology Table.||EIGRP routing protocol creates three table In the router: Neighbor Table, Topology Table, and Routing Table.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between RIP and OSPF
- Difference between RIP and IGRP
- Difference between Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Difference between IGRP and EIGRP
- Difference between EIGRP and OSPF
- Difference between EIGRP and BGP
- Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Routing Information Protocol (RIP) V1 & V2
- EIGRP Cost Calculation
- Features of Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
- EIGRP fundamentals
- EIGRP Configuration
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.