1. Ring Topology :
Ring topology is a type of network topology in which each device is connected to specifically two branches connected to devices in a circle or ring manner. Ring topology is less reliable as failure of one device can disturb the full network. Ring topology is less expensive than tree topology.
2. Tree Topology :
Tree topology is a type of network topology in which the devices are organized in the form of a tree. In tree topology, a hierarchy is formed by the branching cable having no loops that connects the root with all other nodes for communication. Tree topology is more expensive because it is densely wired.
The difference between Ring Topology and Tree Topology are as follows:
|S.No.||Ring Topology||Tree Topology|
|1.||In Ring topology, each device is connected to specifically two branches connected to devices.||In tree topology, the devices are organized in the form of a tree.|
|2.||Ring topology is less reliable than tree topology.||Tree topology is more reliable as failure of one device does not disturb the full network.|
|3.||The amount of cable needed in ring topology is very less than the tree topology.||The amount of cable needed in tree topology is high than the ring topology.|
|4.||Ring topology is generally suited for LAN.||Tree topology is used in WAN.|
|5.||Security is low in ring topology.||While security is high in tree topology.|
|6.||The cost of ring topology is lower than tree topology.||The cost of tree topology is high in comparison to ring topology.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Ring Topology and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Ring Topology and Bus Topology in Computer Networks
- Difference between Straight Ring Counter and Twisted Ring Counter
- Difference between Tree Topology and Bus Topology
- Difference between Star Topology and Tree Topology
- Difference between Mesh Topology and Tree Topology
- Difference between Star and Ring Topology
- Difference between Star topology and Bus topology
- Difference between Mesh Topology and Bus Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of ring topology
- Difference between Token Bus and Token Ring Network
- Difference between Token ring and Ethernet
- Difference between Star and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Physical and Logical Topology
- Spanning Tree Topology (STP) Convergence
- Efficiency Of Token Ring
- Token Ring frame format
- Problems with Token Ring
- Minimum length of Token Ring
- Mod 2 Ring Counter (with D flip-flop)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.