Prerequisite – Network Topologies
In Mesh topology the nodes are connected to each other completely via dedicated link in which the information is travel from nodes to nodes and There are N(N-1)/2 links in Mesh topology, if there are N nodes.
In Ring topology, every node is connected to it’s left and right side nodes in which the information is travel from nodes to nodes in ring manner in one direction.There are also n links in ring topology like star topology, if there are n nodes present. In ring topology, to add a new node the entire connection must be broken down.
Difference between Ring Topology and Mesh Topology:
|S.NO||Ring Topology||Mesh Topology|
|1.||In ring topology, every node is connected to it’s left and right side nodes.||In mesh topology, the nodes are connected to each other completely via dedicated link.|
|2.||The cost of ring topology is low.||The cost of Mesh topology is expensive.|
|3.||There are N links in ring topology, if there are N nodes present.||There are N(N-1)/2 links in Mesh topology, if there are N nodes.|
|4.||In ring topology, the information is travel from nodes to nodes in ring manner in one direction.||In mesh topology, the information is travel from nodes to nodes.|
|5.||Ring topology is poor extensible.||Mesh topology is also poor extensible.|
|6.||Ring topology is used in LAN.||Mesh topology is generally suited for WAN.|
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Difference between Ring Topology and Bus Topology in Computer Networks
- Difference between Mesh Topology and Bus Topology
- Difference between Star and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Star and Ring Topology
- Difference between Star topology and Bus topology
- Types of Network Topology
- Difference between Straight Ring Counter and Twisted Ring Counter
- Difference between Token ring and Ethernet
- Difference between Token Bus and Token Ring Network
- Problems with Token Ring
- Efficiency Of Token Ring
- Mod 2 Ring Counter (with D flip-flop)
- Ring Counter in Digital Logic
- Token Ring frame format
- Minimum length of Token Ring
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378