Prerequisite – Types of Network Topology
1. Ring Topology :
In Ring topology there is circular data path.Each of the devices are connected to two other device in the network.Data is transmitted from sender to receiver by passing it from one device to another until the receiver device is reached.If any of the connection is broken then the whole network crashes because they are connected sequentially.This topology is basically used for connection of LAN or WAN.
2. Bus Topology :
Bus topology is a type of network topology in which all the devices are connected to a single cable which is called as the backbone of the network.It consists of a terminator at each end of the cable.The network cable is responsible for the communication between the devices and when the data reaches the end of the cable it is removed by the terminator from the data line.It is the easiest network topology when the devices are to be connected in a linear fashion.
Differences between Ring Topology and Bus Topology :
|S.NO.||Ring Topology||Bus Topology|
|1.||In Ring topology each device is connected to two other devices in a circular fashion.||Bus topology is a topology where each device is connected to a single cable which is known as the backbone.|
|2.||In Ring topology data is sent through the devices from sender to receiver device..||In Bus topology data is sent directly from sender to receiver device..|
|3.||Ring topology has lower implementation cost than bus topology.||The implementation cost of Bus topology is higher than Ring topology|
|4.||Ring topology is less reliable as failure of one device affects whole network.||Bus topology is more reliable than Ring topology|
|5.||Tracking fault is easy in Ring topology than Bus topology.||It is difficult to find fault in Bus topology.|
|6.||Addition of new device is difficult in Ring topology than Bus topology.||In Bus topology new device is added very easily.|
|7.||The access speed is less than Bus topology because of sequential access.||Access speed is fast in comparison of Ring topology|
|8.||Ring topology do not contains any terminators.||Bus topology has terminators at both ends.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Tree Topology and Bus Topology
- Difference between Star topology and Bus topology
- Difference between Mesh Topology and Bus Topology
- Difference between Ring Topology and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Ring Topology and Tree Topology
- Difference between Single Bus Structure and Double Bus Structure
- Difference between Token Bus and Token Ring Network
- Difference between Straight Ring Counter and Twisted Ring Counter
- Difference between Star and Ring Topology
- Difference between Star Topology and Tree Topology
- Difference between Mesh Topology and Tree Topology
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) in Computer Network
- Difference between Token ring and Ethernet
- Difference between Star and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Physical and Logical Topology
- Difference between Computer Science Engineering and Computer Engineering
- Difference between Analog Computer and Digital Computer
- Token Bus (IEEE 802.4)
- System Bus Design
- Efficiency Of Token Ring
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378