There is no direct comparison between SOAP and REST APIs. But there are some points to be listed below which makes you choose better between these two web services. Here are:
- SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol and REST stands for Representational State Transfer.
- Since SOAP is a protocol, it follows a strict standard to allow communication between the client and the server whereas REST is an architectural style that doesn’t follow any strict standard but follows six constraints defined by Roy Fielding in 2000. Those constraints are – Uniform Interface, Client-Server, Stateless, Cacheable, Layered System, Code on Demand.
- SOAP uses only XML for exchanging information in its message format whereas REST is not restricted to XML and its the choice of implementer which Media-Type to use like XML, JSON, Plain-text. Moreover, REST can use SOAP protocol but SOAP cannot use REST.
- On behalf of services interfaces to business logic, SOAP uses @WebService whereas REST instead of using interfaces uses URI like @Path.
- SOAP is difficult to implement and it requires more bandwidth whereas REST is easy to implement and requires less bandwidth such as smartphones.
- Benefits of SOAP over REST as SOAP has ACID complaints transaction. Some of the applications require transaction ability which is accepted by SOAP whereas REST lacks in it.
- On the basis of Security, SOAP has SSL( Secure Socket Layer) and WS-security whereas REST has SSL and HTTPS. In the case of Bank Account Password, Card Number, etc. SOAP is preferred over REST. The security issue is all about your application requirement, you have to build security on your own. It’s about what type of protocol you use.
- REST API (Introduction)
- Underscore.js | _.rest() with Examples
- REST API Architectural Constraints
- NodeJS | Building simple REST API in express
- Difference between “!==” and “==!” in PHP
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between ASP and ASP.NET
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Difference Between HTML and ASP
- What is the difference between the | and || or operator in php?
- Difference between ReactJS and Vue.js
- Difference between array() and  in PHP
- Difference between an id and class in HTML?
- Difference between Applets and Servlets
Both of the web services has its own advantages and disadvantages as well. The choice between them depends upon application requirements, environment, and the programming language.
REST v/s SOAP :
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.