1. Real-time Tasks :
Real-time tasks are the tasks associated with the quantitative expression of time. This quantitative expression of time describes the behavior of the real-time tasks. Real-time tasks are scheduled to finish all the computation events involved in it into timing constraint. The timing constraint related to the real-time tasks is deadline. All the real-time tasks need to be completed before deadline.
For example, Input-output interaction with devices, web browsing etc.
2. Non-Real-time Tasks :
Non-real-time tasks are the tasks which is not associated with the timing constraint. The non-real-time tasks are not described by timing expressions. It is not associated with any time bound. These tasks just need to be completed in whatever time system may take. Basically these tasks are not used now-a-days. All the tasks used now-a-days are real-time tasks.
For example, batch processing jobs, event loggers etc.
Difference between Real-time Tasks and Non-Real-time Tasks:
|REAL-TIME TASKS||NON-REAL-TIME TASKS|
|Real-time task is the task that is associated with time bound.||Non-real-time task is not associated with time bound.|
|It can be expressed as quantitative expression of time.||It can’t be expressed ad function of time.|
|It is of two types – Hard and Soft.||It is not further classified.|
|Deadline of real-time tasks are in the order of seconds.||Deadline of non-real-time tasks may be minutes, hours or even days.|
|Most of the interactive tasks are real-time tasks.||It includes some old jobs used some decades ago.|
|It is widely used in computer systems.||It is not used now-a-days in computer systems.|
|It is computed by real-time systems.||It is computed by traditional systems.|
|Example: Satellite tracking, video conferencing etc.||Example: Batch processing jobs, old email services etc.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Firm Real-time Tasks and Soft Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Periodic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Periodic and Sporadic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Sporadic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Tasks in Real Time systems
- Find time taken to execute the tasks in A based on the order of execution in B
- Priority Assignment to Tasks in Operating System
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
- Difference between HTML and HTTP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.