Prerequisite – Software Testing
1. Re-Testing :
In Software Testing, Re-Testing refers to the testing again of a module to ensure that the bug is fixed. This means it confirms the test cases that failed in the final execution are passing after the errors/defects are fixed.
Process of Re-Testing is as follows –
- At first an error is detected in any module of the application.
- Then it undergoes for correction/modification by the developer.
- After the developer has solved and tested issue again, it is called Re-Testing.
2. Sanity Testing :
In Software Testing, Sanity Testing refers to the testing performed after receiving a software build, with minor changes in code, or functionality, to ascertain that the bugs/errors have been fixed and no further issues are introduced due to these changes.
Process of Sanity Testing is as follows –
- A software build is received first.
- Determine that the proposed functionality works roughly as expected after changes.
- If sanity test fails, the build is rejected.
- If sanity test passes, it is passed for further testing.
Difference between Re-Testing and Sanity Testing :
|1.||Re-Testing is carried out to check and confirm that the test cases that failed in the final execution are passing after those errors/defects are solved.||Sanity Testing is carried out to check and confirm that the functionalities are working perfectly after minor functionality/bug fixes or any changes.|
|2.||Defect verification comes under Re-Testing as a part.||Defect verification does not come under Sanity Testing as a part.|
|3.||Re-Testing is performed before start of Sanity Testing and Regression Testing.||Sanity Testing is performed before Regression Testing and after Smoke Testing.|
|4.||Test cases can not be automated for Re-Testing.||Sanity Testing is often executed manually.|
|5.||Re-Testing can be performed with the previously used test cases. Means test cases can be reused.||Sanity Testing can be performed without test cases with domain knowledge.|
|6.||Priority of Re-Testing is higher than Sanity Testing.||Priority of Sanity testing is lower than Sanity Testing.|
|7.||Before start of testing, test cases for Re-Testing cannot be obtained.||Test cases for Sanity Testing can be obtained from obtained from the functional specification, manuals, and defect reports in regards to corrected problems.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Sanity Testing and Regression Testing
- Software Engineering | Differences between Sanity Testing and Smoke Testing
- Sanity Testing | Software Testing
- Difference between Frontend Testing and Backend Testing
- Difference between Black Box Testing and Gray Box Testing
- Difference between Unit Testing and Integration Testing
- Difference between System Testing and Acceptance Testing
- Difference between Performance Testing and Load Testing
- Difference between Unit Testing and Sandwich Testing
- Difference between Unit Testing and System Testing
- Difference between Load Testing and Stress Testing
- Difference between Stress Testing and Volume Testing
- Difference between Volume Testing and Load Testing
- Difference between Agile Testing and Waterfall Testing
- Difference between Active Testing and Passive Testing
- Difference between System Testing and End-to-end Testing
- Difference between System Testing and Integration Testing
- Difference between System Integration Testing (SIT) and User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Difference between Scrum Testing and V-Model Testing
- Difference between Positive Testing and Negative Testing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.