What is MongoDB?
MongoDB is an open-source document-oriented database used for high volume data storage. It falls under the classification of a NoSQL database. NoSQL tool means that it doesn’t utilize the usual rows and columns. MongoDB uses BSON (document storage format) which is a binary style of JSON documents.
Features of MongoDB:
- Multiple Servers: It can run over multiple servers.
- Schema-less Database: It is a schema-less database.
- Indexing: Any field in the document can be indexed.
- Rich Object Model: It supports a rich object model.
What is RDBMS?
- Gives a high level of information security.
- It is quick and precise.
- Provides facility primary key, to exceptionally distinguish the rows.
It stands for Relational Database Management System. It stores data in the form of related tables.
Features of RDBMS:
Difference between RDBMS and MongoDB:
|It is a relational database.||It is a non-relational and document-oriented database.|
|Not suitable for hierarchical data storage.||Suitable for hierarchical data storage.|
|It is vertically scalable i.e increasing RAM.||It is horizontally scalable i.e we can add more servers.|
|It has a predefined schema.||It has a dynamic schema.|
|It is quite vulnerable to SQL injection.||It is not affected by SQL injection.|
|It centers around ACID properties (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability).||It centers around the CAP theorem (Consistency, Availability, and Partition tolerance).|
|It is row-based.||It is document-based.|
|It is slower in comparison with MongoDB.||It is almost 100 times faster than RDBMS.|
|Supports complex joins.||No support for complex joins.|
|It is column-based.||It is field-based.|
|It supports SQL query language only.||It supports JSON query language along with SQL.|
- Difference between RDBMS and OODBMS
- Difference between RDBMS and HBase
- Difference between RDBMS and Hive
- Difference between RDBMS and DBMS
- MongoDB and Python
- MongoDB : An introduction
- MongoDB: Getting Started
- MongoDB vs MySQL
- Introduction about Node.js and MongoDB
- MongoDB | Delete Database using MongoShell
- MongoDB | Create Database using MongoShell
- Signup Form Using Nodejs and MongoDB
- Defining, Creating and Dropping a MongoDB collection
- MongoDB Python | Insert and Update Data
- MongoDB python | insert(), replace_one(), replace_many()
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.