RDBMS stands for Relational Database Management System. RDBMS is a such type of database management system which is specifically designed for relational databases. RDBMS is a subset of DBMS. A relational database refers to a database that stores data in a structured format using rows and columns and that structured form is known as table. There are some certain rules defined in RDBMS and that are known as Codd’s rule.
Hive is a data warehouse software system that provides data query and analysis. Hive gives an interface like SQL to query data stored in various databases and file systems that integrate with Hadoop. Hive helps with querying and managing large datasets real fast. It is an ETL tool for Hadoop ecosystem.
Difference between RDBMS and Hive:
|It is used to maintain database.||It is used to maintain data warehouse.|
|It uses SQL (Structured Query Language).||It uses HQL (Hive Query Language).|
|Schema is fixed in RDBMS.||Schema varies in it.|
|Normalized data is stored.||Normalized and de-normalized both type of data is stored.|
|Tables in rdms are sparse.||Table in hive are dense.|
|It doesn’t support partitioning.||It supports automation partition.|
|No partition method is used.||Sharding method is used for partition.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between RDBMS and IBM DB2
- Difference Between RDBMS and Hadoop
- Difference between RDBMS and HBase
- Difference between RDBMS and Couchbase
- Difference between ER Model and RDBMS
- Difference between RDBMS and OODBMS
- Difference between RDBMS and MongoDB
- Difference between RDBMS and DBMS
- Difference between Pig and Hive
- Difference Between Hive and Hue
- Difference between Hive and MongoDB
- Difference between Hive and HBase
- Difference between Hive and Derby
- Difference between Hive and Cassandra
- Difference between Hive and Oracle
- Difference Between Hadoop and Hive
- Difference Between Apache Hive and Apache Impala
- Difference between Apache Hive and Apache Spark SQL
- RDBMS Architecture
- RDBMS Full Form
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.