Python and Bash both are both automation engineers’ favorite programming language. But sometimes it may become difficult to choose any one of them. So you might be looking for articles telling which language to choose. But the honest answer is it depends on the task, scope, complexity of the task. Let’s have a look at both languages.
Python is a multi-paradigm programming language such as object-oriented programming and structured programming and many others. It was developed by Guido van Rossum in the late 1980s. There are 33 total keywords used in python 3.7. It doesn’t support pointers. It is a dynamic-type language. It is easier in order to learn.
Note: For more information, refer to Python Programming Language
BASH is most widely used shell in Linux systems. It is used as a default login shell in Linux systems and in macOS. It can also be installed on Windows OS. Bash is available by default on Linux and macOS operating systems. It is a command processor that typically runs in a text window where the user types command that cause actions.
Difference Between Python and Bash
Python is a high-level programming language designed to be easy to read and simple to implement. While Bash is an sh-compatible command language interpreter that executes commands read from the standard input or from a file.
- Simplicity :
Python is more easy to maintain. Whereas, bash does not, it is require not maintenance.
Bash is the default user shell on every Linux distribution you know about as well as macOS, which makes it relatively faster than Python in terms of performance
|1||Python is highly efficient programming language used for general-purpose programming.||Bash is not a programming language, it is a command-line interpreter.|
|2||Python is based on object-oriented programming||Bash is a software replacement for the original Bourne shell.|
|3||Python is easy, simple and powerful language.||Bash is tough to write and not powerful as python.|
|4||It is specially designed for web and app development.||It is found on Linux distributions and macOS.|
|5||Python is more efficient and is known for its consistency and readability.||IT does not deal with frameworks.|
|6||It supports OOP and allow users to easily and neatly break problems.||Bash does not support OOP and it only understands text.L|
|7||It is easier to maintain than bash||It is harder to maintain as compared to python|
|8||It require third party programs to be installed||It does not require any third party apps/programs to be installed|
|9||It is better to use python when script is lager than 100 lOC.||For smaller script Bash is good.|
- Building a terminal based online dictionary with Python and bash
- Python set operations (union, intersection, difference and symmetric difference)
- Difference Between x = x + y and x += y in Python
- Python Set | difference()
- Difference between 'and' and '&' in Python
- Difference between C and Python
- Difference between Python and C++
- Difference between Python and C#
- Difference between == and is operator in Python
- Difference between various Implementations of Python
- Python | Difference between two lists
- Difference Between '+' and 'append' in Python
- Difference between Python and Java
- Difference between dir() and vars() in Python
- Difference between List and Dictionary in Python
- Python | Difference in keys of two dictionaries
- Difference Between Multithreading vs Multiprocessing in Python
- Python | Pandas TimedeltaIndex.difference
- Python | Triple list difference
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.