Pulse Code Modulation (PCM):
It is that the technique used for reworking analog signal into digital signal. PCM has good or sensible signal to noise ration. For transmission, Pulse Code Modulation wants high transmitter bandwidth. PCM technique is split into three elements, initial is that the transmission at the provision end, second regeneration at the transmission path and conjointly the receiving end.
Delta modulation is an analog to digital and digital to analog signal conversion technique. Delta modulation is employed to realize high signal to noise ratio. It uses one bit PCM code to realize digital transmission of analog signal. With delta modulation, instead of transmit a coded illustration of a sample solely one bit is transmitted, that merely indicates whether or not the sample is larger or smaller than the previous sample. it’s the best type or simplest type of Differential Pulse Code Modulation. Delta modulation signal is smaller than Pulse Code Modulation system.
If signal is large, the next bit in digital data is 1 otherwise 0.
Difference between Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) and Delta Modulation (DM):
|1.||PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation.||DM stands for Delta Modulation.|
|2.||In PCM, feedback does not exist in transmitter or receiver.||While in DM, feedback exists in transmitter.|
|3.||Per sample 4, 8, or 16 bits are used.||Here, only one bit is used per sample.|
|4.||PCM requires highest transmitter bandwidth.||DM requires lowest transmitter bandwidth.|
|5.||PCM is complex in terms of complexity of implementation.||While DM is simple in terms of complexity of implementation.|
|6.||PCM has good signal to noise ratio.||While DM has poor signal to noise ratio.|
|7.||PCM is costly.||DM is cheap.|
|8.||PCM may be a technique wont to digitally represent sampled analog signals.||Digital to analog and analog to digital converter.|
|9.||In PCM, signal requires encoder and decoder both sides.||In DM, signal can modulate and demodulate.|
|10.||PM is mostly used in video telephony and audio telephony.||DM is mostly used in speeches as well as images.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Delta Modulation (DM) and Differential Pulse Code Modulation (DPCM)
- Difference between Frequency Modulation and Phase Modulation
- Difference between Amplitude Modulation and Phase Modulation
- Difference between Amplitude Modulation and Frequency Modulation
- Difference between PCM and DPCM
- Difference between Fastag, Bar Code, QR Code and NFC
- Difference between QR Code, Bar Code and NFC
- Difference between Source Code and Object Code
- Difference Between Source Code and Byte Code
- Difference between Byte Code and Machine Code
- Difference between Managed and Unmanaged code in .NET
- Difference between QR Code and NFC
- Difference between Fastag, QR Code and NFC
- Difference between Barcode and QR Code
- Difference between Fastag and QR Code
- Difference between Fastag, Bar Code and NFC
- Code valid in both C and C++ but produce different output
- Hamming Code in Computer Network
- Java | CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access)
- How message authentication code works?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.