Private IP address of a system is the IP address which is used to communicate within the same network. Using private IP data or information can be sent or received within the same network.
Public IP address of a system is the IP address which is used to communicate outside the network. Public IP address is basically assigned by the ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Difference between Private and Public IP address:
|PRIVATE IP ADDRESS||PUBLIC IP ADDRESS|
|Scope is local.||Scope is global.|
|It is used to communicate within the network.||It is used to communicate outside the network.|
|Private IP addresses of the systems connected in a network differ in a uniform manner.||Public IP may differ in uniform or non-uniform manner.|
|It works only in LAN.||It is used to get internet service.|
|It is used to load network operating system.||It is controlled by ISP.|
|It is available in free of cost.||It is not free of cost.|
|Private IP can be known by entering “ipconfig” on command prompt.||Public IP can be known by searching “what is my ip” on google.|
10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255, 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
Besides private IP addresses, rest are public.
|Example: 192.168.1.10||Example: 22.214.171.124|
- Know your public and private IP addresses
- Difference between Private key and Public key
- Mapping Virtual Addresses to Physical Addresses
- Difference Between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Proxy
- Public Key Encryption
- Program to find Class, Broadcast and Network addresses
- Private VLAN
- Private Browsing
- Types of Virtual Private Network (VPN) and its Protocols
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between C and C++
- Difference between CLI and GUI
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- Difference between RPC and RMI
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.