GIF and PNG are two different types of format used to store the images.
GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. Extensions used to store image in this format are .gif and .gfa. It uses lossless compression algorithm and supports 8-bit color.
It stands for Portable Network Graphics. For PNG images extension used is .png. It uses lossless compression algorithm.
Difference between GIF and PNG:
|It stands for Graphics Interchange Format.||It stands for Portable Network Graphics.|
|It supports animation.||It doesn’t support animation.|
|MIME type is image/gif.||MIME type is image/png.|
|File size is generally less.||File size is large compared to GIF.|
|It supports one bit transparency in the images.||It supports transparency with an elegance.||Extensions used are .gif and .gfa.||Extension used is .png.|
|Mostly used when animation is needed.||It is mostly used in image creation.|
|It provides a limited color range of 256 colors.||It provides thousand of colors.|
|It supports layers and multi-paging.||While it does not supports layers and multi-paging.|
|It is best suited for screenshots, typography, etc.||It is suitable for small vectors, crispy edged visuals, logos.|
- Difference between TCP and RTP
- Difference between ZIP and RAR
- Difference between PCA VS t-SNE
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between 4G and 5G
- Difference between 1G and 2G
- Difference Between Gi-Fi and Li-Fi
- Difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
- Difference Between SMO and SEO
- Difference between IoT and M2M
- Difference between DFA and NFA
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- Difference between C and C++
- Difference between CD-R and CD-RW
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378