Difference between PHP and .NET
The current business sector is completely moving towards a digital market where each business irrespective of its size now requires its digital presence for the growth of the business. Every organization requires a website for their business as the first step of digital presence. When the demand for web applications in the market is increasing rapidly, similarly competition in the web application development industry is also high and each industry wants to be in a step ahead by providing a good quality software product to the client by using some advanced technology. PHP and .NET are the most widely used programming languages for web application development. Let us learn the difference between these two by analyzing it more.
1. PHP : PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a general-purpose programming language and open-source server-side scripting language used for developing dynamic and interactive web applications. It is especially suited for web development. It can be embedded in HTML (HyperText Markup Language). The important point is that it is open source and it can be deployed on almost all operating systems and web servers.
- Open source: It is open source so readily available and free of charge.
- Embedding: It is easily embeddable into the HTML source document.
- Cross-platform: It allows interaction with different operating systems.
- Object-oriented: It has the ability to call Windows and Java objects and its classes can also be created.
Advantages of PHP:
- No prior knowledge of HTML is required.
- It is an open-source language, so it’s free of cost.
- It has a large community document.
- It has powerful library support.
- It has large community support.
- It provides an easy database connection.
Disadvantages of PHP:
- It is not suitable for large applications.
- It has a poor error handling method.
- As it is open-source, security issues may arise.
- It has a weak type, which leads to unexpected bugs.
- It is not suitable to handle many apps.
2. .NET: .NET (Dot NET) is a software development framework used for developing and running applications from the web, mobile, and windows-based applications. It is a free, unified, cross-platform, and open-source software development platform to develop desktop, cloud, mobile, gaming, IoT, and web apps. It has languages, guidelines, libraries, and various tools to develop applications.
- Language independence: It has a CTS (Common Type System) which allows the framework to support the interaction between applications and libraries developed using a compatible .NET language.
- Security: All developed applications are provided with a common security model as well as many inbuilt security features.
- Base class library: The base class library (BCL) is composed of classes that encapsulate functions available to all languages.
- Interoperability: It allows easy access to functionality and interaction between newer and older applications outside its environment.
Advantages of .NET :
- It is based on OOP (Object-Oriented Programming).
- It has a great caching system.
- It is a cross-platform framework.
- It is easy to deploy and maintain.
- It has a universal .NET Standard.
- It has a large community.
Disadvantages of .NET :
- Object-relational support issues.
- Stability issues for New Releases.
- It has limited object-relational (OR) support.
- Slower than native code.
- Sometimes it is expensive in case of migration of apps to .NET.
Difference between PHP and .NET :
|01.||PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a general-purpose and open-source scripting language used for developing dynamic and interactive web applications.||.NET (Dot NET) is a software development framework used for developing and running applications from the web, mobile and windows-based applications.|
|02.||Its base language is C and C++ language.||Its base language is C, C++, and Assembly language.|
|03.||It is a general-purpose programming language.||It is a platform-neutral software development framework.|
|04.||It was created by Rasmus Lerdorf in the year 1994.||It was created by Microsoft Corporation.|
|05.||It has been widely used to develop web applications.||It has been widely used to develop desktop as well as web applications.|
|06.||Development and deployment are very easy in PHP.||Deployment becomes very easy by .NET framework intelligence.|
|07.||In the year 1995, it was initially released.||It was initially released in February, 2002.|
|08.||It is opensource.||It is licensed.|
|09.||It does not support so many languages like the .NET framework.||.NET framework supports many languages like C#, J#, VB.net, etc.|
|10.||Some companies which use PHP are Facebook, Wikipedia, slack, etc.||Some companies which use .NET are Accenture, Microsoft, Stack Overflow, etc.|