Perl is a general-purpose, high level interpreted and dynamic programming language. It was developed by Larry Wall, in 1987. Perl was originally developed for text processing like extracting the required information from a specified text file and for converting the text file into a different form. Perl supports both procedural and Object-Oriented programming. Perl is a lot similar to C syntactically and is easy for the users who have knowledge of C, C++.
Welcome to GeeksforGeeks!
Ruby is a pure Object-Oriented language developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto (also known as Matz in the Ruby community) in the mid 1990’s in Japan. Everything in Ruby is an object except the blocks but there are replacements too for it i.e procs and lambda. The objective of Ruby’s development was to make it act as a sensible buffer between human programmers and the underlying computing machinery. Ruby has a similar syntax to that of many programming languages like C and Java, so it is easy for Java and C programmers to learn. It supports mostly all platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux.
Welcome to GeeksforGeeks!
Difference between Perl and Ruby :
Perl is a high level, general-purpose, interpreted, dynamic
|Ruby is a dynamic, object-oriented, reflective, general-purpose programming language.|
|It is less Object-Oriented language.||It is a pure and highly Object-Oriented language.|
|The number of libraries present in Perl is less than Ruby.||The number of libraries present in Ruby is more than comparing to Perl.|
|Its support for Unicode is much stronger than Ruby.||Its support for Unicode is not as strong as Perl.|
|The file extension used for Perl is “.pl”.||The file extension used for Ruby is “.rb”.|
It has a very good number of libraries when it comes to
supporting regular expression.
|Its support for regular expression is less when compared to Perl.|
|Framework for Perl is Django.||Framework for Ruby is Catalyst.|
|It supports multiple variable types.||It has only one variable type.|
|The performance of Perl in terms of execution is very fast.||The execution speed of Ruby scripts decent enough.|
Perl is most often used in CGI (Common Gateway Interface)
scripting along with C for web servers and hence used widely in the world of server technology.
|Ruby is strong in meta-programming, which allows creating a fabulous product like Vagrant.|
- Perl | Basic Syntax of a Perl Program
- Perl Tutorial - Learn Perl With Examples
- What is the difference between Perl and PHP ?
- Perl - Difference between Functions and Subroutines
- Perl Installation and Environment Setup in Windows, Linux, and MacOS
- Difference Between Laravel and Ruby on Rails
- Difference Between Golang and Ruby
- Perl | Removing leading and trailing white spaces (trim)
- Perl | undef and the defined function
- Perl | Variables and its Types
- Perl | Constructors and Destructors
- Perl | Finding Files and Directories
- Perl | Opening and Reading a File
- Perl | STDIN in Scalar and List Context
- Perl List and its Types
- Perl | Quoted, Interpolated and Escaped Strings
- Perl | Number and its Types
- Perl | Mutable and Immutable parameters
- Perl | Hash in Scalar and List Context
- Use of print() and say() in Perl
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.