Prerequisite – Tasks in Real Time systems
1. Periodic Real-time Tasks :
The real-time task that is repeated after a certain time interval is known as periodic real-time task. Basically the periodic real-time tasks are controlled by the clock interrupts. Therefore, the periodic real-time tasks are also called clock-driven tasks.
For example, in a chemical plant temperatures, pressure and other attribute are measured periodically and all information is passed to controller.
2. Sporadic Real-time Tasks :
The real-time task that reoccurs at random instant is known as sporadic real-time task. Sporadic real-time task has some similarity to aperiodic real-time task but it is different from aperiodic real-time task. Basically all the high critical tasks are sporadic tasks.
For example, fire handling task in industry is sporadic task.
Difference between Periodic and Sporadic Real-time Tasks :
|PERIODIC TASK||SPORADIC TASK|
|It reoccurs after a certain period of time.||It reoccurs at random instant.|
|It is controlled by clock interrupts.||It is not controlled by clock interrupts.|
|Time of occurrence of periodic tasks can be predicted.||Time of occurrence of sporadic tasks can’t be predicted.|
|It includes moderate critical or low critical tasks.||It includes highly critical tasks.|
|It includes normal system tasks.||It includes tasks that may lead to system failure.|
|It can be easily scheduled by cyclic scheduler.||It is complex to schedule sporadic tasks by cyclic scheduler.|
|Periodic tasks are allotted time frame in generalized task scheduler.||Sporadic tasks are allotted slack time in generalized task scheduler.|
|Example: Measuring of temperature and pressure at a time interval.||Example: Emergency message arrivals in the system.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Sporadic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Periodic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Real-time Tasks and Non-Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Firm Real-time Tasks and Soft Real-time Tasks
- Tasks in Real Time systems
- Find time taken to execute the tasks in A based on the order of execution in B
- Priority Assignment to Tasks in Operating System
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Time Tracking and Time and Attendance Software
- Difference Between Single and Double Quotes in Shell Script and Linux
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.