1. Peripheral Component Interconnect eXtended (PCI-X) :
PCI-X or Peripheral Component Interconnect eXtended is a local computer bus that comes alongside an expansion card. It is the extended version of Peripheral Component Interconnect that has higher bandwidths. It was introduced in the year 1998 by IBM, HP, Compaq and had a feature of supporting higher clock speeds and hot swapping.It is designed in parallel and has width of 64 bits. It was later replaced by other version named PCI-E due to its slow functioning.
2. Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCI-E) :
PCI-E is a replaced version of Peripheral Component Interconnect eXtended(PCI-X) introduced in the year 2003 by Intel, Dell HP and IBM. PCI express is a serial bus which connects graphic cards, Wifi, hard drives and other hardware devices. It works faster than PCI-X, has less input and output pin count making it work better than PCI-X. This version had many features than the older ones.
Difference between PCI-X and PCI-E :
|1.||PCI-X is a computer bus that connects hardware devices and has an expansion card.||An advanced version of PCI bus that connects graphic ports, Wifi and other devices.|
|2.||It was introduced in the year 1998 by IBM, HP and Compaq.||It was introduced in the year 2003 by Intel, Dell, HP and IBM.|
|3.||It is a parallel bus interface||It is a serial bus interface.|
|4.||PCI-X is the abbreviated name for Peripheral Component Interconnect eXtended.||PCI-E is the abbreviated name for PCI Express.|
|5.||It works slower.||It works faster.|
|6.||PCI-X provides a slower data rate||PCI Express provides faster data rate.|
|7.||The PCI-X has longer slots||The PCI-E has shorter slots.|
|8.||The speed of a PCI-X slot is upto 1064MB/s.||The speed of a PCI-E slot is upto 16 GB/s.|
|9.||It has less features.||It has more features.|
|10.||The width of PCI-X is about 64 bits.||The width of PCI-E is 1 per lane|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- What is PCIe(Peripheral Component Interconnect express)?
- What is PCIX(Peripheral Component Interconnect Extended)?
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between 4NF and 5NF
- Difference between ELT and ETL
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between PNG and GIF
- Difference between GCC and G++
- Difference Between DAS and SAN
- Difference between BFS and DFS
- Difference between DAS and NAS
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between IoE and IoT
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference Between SMO and SEO
- Difference between IoT and M2M
- Difference between DFA and NFA
- Difference between T-SQL and PL-SQL
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.