1. Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) :
PCI is a computer bus to connect the hardware devices in a computer system. Conventional PCI is the other name for PCI. PCI is designed as a parallel bus and has a single bus clock which allocates the time quantum. PCI was introduced in the year 1992 by Intel. The standard width of a PCI bus is either 32 or 64 bits. Hotplugging is a feature that is optional in a PCI.
2. Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCI-e) :
PCI-e is a replaced version of Peripheral Component Interconnect introduced in the year 2003. While hot swapping feature was made optional in PCI, the new version had the hot swapping feature in it. PCI express is a serial bus which connects graphic cards, Wifi, hard drives and other hardware devices. It works faster than PCI, had less input and output pin count making it work better than PCI.
Difference between PCI and PCI express :
|1.||PCI is a computer bus that connects hardware devices.||An advanced version of PCI bus that connects graphic ports, Wifi and other devices.|
|2.||It was introduced in the year 1992 by Intel.||It was introduced in the year 2003 by Intel, Dell and other organizations.|
|3.||It is a parallel bus interface||It is a serial bus interface.|
|4.||Conventional PCI is the other name for PCI.||PCI-e is the abbreviated name for PCI Express.|
|5.||It works slower.||It works faster.|
|6.||PCI provides a slower data rate||PCI Express provides faster data rate.|
|7.||The PCI slots are standardized||The PCI-e slots depends upon number of lanes.|
|8.||The speed of a PCI slot is upto 133MB/s.||The speed of a PCI-e slot is upto 16 GB/s.|
|9.||It has less features.||It has more features.|
|10.||It may or may not have hot swapping feature.||It has the hot swapping feature.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- What is PCIe(Peripheral Component Interconnect express)?
- Difference between CRT and LCD
- Difference between DAS and NAS
- Difference between IoE and IoT
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between ADO and ADO.NET
- Difference Between Gi-Fi and Li-Fi
- Difference between TCP and RTP
- Difference between IBM DB2 and MS SQL
- Difference between DTE and DCE
- Difference between 4NF and 5NF
- Difference between 1G and 2G
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between DFA and NFA
- Difference between DML and TCL
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between PCI and PCI-X
- Difference between 4G and 5G
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between PCI-E and PCI-X
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.