Optical Character Recognition (OCR):
OCR is the mechanical-electronic that converts the images into machine-encoded text. In other words, it is the use of technology to distinguish printed or handwritten text characters inside digital images of physical documents, such as a scanned paper document.
Magnetic Ink Character Reader (MICR):
It is a character-recognition technology that is used by the banking industry to streamline the processing and clearance of cheques and other documents. In other words, it is a technology used to verify the originality of paper documents.
Difference between Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Magnetic Ink Character Reader (MICR):
|OCR||MICR||OCR is a scanner that scans the pages comprised of texts.||MICR is a character scanning technology but it utilizes a magnetic ink and special characters.|
|It can scan any type of printed text||It can scan the special information present in cheques.|
|It supports variety of shapes of fonts||It supports only Pre-defined fonts like E-138 and CMC-7.|
|All type of ink are used in OCR||In MICR, only special type – magnetic ink created using iron oxide are used.|
|In OCR, Scanned data is used for editing or printing.||In MICR, Scanned data is used for processing the cheques.|
|For example, If one wants to convert a multipage document into a digital image, he can load the document into an OCR program, which converts the document to an editable text file after recognizing the original text. .||For Example, If one has an account in sector 62, Noida branch of Punjab National Bank (PNB). What would be its MICR code? City code for Noida: 110 ; Bank code for PNB: 032 ; Branch code for Sector 62: 013.
Thus, the MICR code is: 110032013
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Difference between String and Character array in Java
- Differences between Magnetic Tape and Magnetic Disk
- Difference between Optical Fiber and Coaxial Cable
- Difference between Facial Recognition and Face ID
- Difference between Satellite Communication and Optical Communication
- Count of sub-strings that do not consist of the given character
- Minimum sum of squares of character counts in a given string after removing k characters
- Introduction of Optical Computing
- Difference between MP4 and MP3
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.