Prerequisite – Multiprogramming, multitasking, multithreading and multiprocessing
Multitasking is when a CPU is provided to execute multiple tasks at a time. Multitasking involves often CPU switching between the tasks, so that users can collaborate with each program together. Unlike multithreading, In multitasking, the processes share separate memory and resources. As multitasking involves CPU switching between the tasks rapidly, So the little time is needed in order to switch from the one user to next.
Multithreading is a system in which many threads are created from a process through which the computer power is increased. In multithreading, CPU is provided in order to execute many threads from a process at a time, and in multithreading, process creation is performed according to cost. Unlike multitasking, multithreading provides the same memory and resources to the processes for execution.
Let’s see the difference between multitasking and multithreading:
|1.||In multitasking, users are allowed to perform many tasks by CPU.||While in multithreading, many threads are created from a process through which computer power is increased.|
|2.||Multitasking involves often CPU switching between the tasks.||While in multithreading also, CPU switching is often involved between the threads.|
|3.||In multitasking, the processes share separate memory.||While in multithreading, processes are allocated same memory.|
|4.||Multitasking component involves multiprocessing.||While multithreading component does not involve multiprocessing.|
|5.||In multitasking, CPU is provided in order to execute many tasks at a time.||While in multithreading also, CPU is provided in order to execute many threads from a process at a time.|
|6.||In multitasking, processes don’t share same resources, each process is allocated separate resources.||While in multithreading, each process share same resources.|
|7.||Multitasking is slow compared to multithreading.||While multithreading is faster.|
|8.||In multitasking, termination of process takes more time.||While in multithreading, termination of thread takes less time.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Multiprogramming, multitasking, multithreading and multiprocessing
- Difference between Multiprogramming and Multitasking
- Difference between Preemptive and Cooperative Multitasking
- Difference between Multiprocessing and Multithreading
- Difference Between Multithreading vs Multiprocessing in Python
- Process-based and Thread-based Multitasking
- Multithreading in Operating System
- Benefits of Multithreading in Operating System
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between 1G and 2G
- Difference between RAM and ROM
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- Difference between CRT and LCD
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between OOP and POP
- Difference between DFD and ERD
- Difference between PNG and GIF
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : pp_pankaj