MP4 and MP3 are two different formats of data storage types used to store media.
MP4 or MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding) is a file format created by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG). It is used to store audio, video, still images, subtitles, and text.
MP3 or MPEG audio Layer-3 is a file format which is also created by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG). It is used to store the files that can only be used for audio.
Difference between MP4 and MP3:
|MP4 is a digital multimedia container format||Mp3 is an audio coding format|
|Extension used is .mp4||Extension used is .mp3|
|MP4 can handle a number of media, such as audio, image, video, text.||MP3 can handle only one type of media, which is an audio file.|
|Devices which are made for MP4 are both audio and video file players.||Devices that are made for MP3 are simply an audio file player.|
|MP4 is a compressing technology with decreasing the quality of audio an d video both.||MP3 is also a compressing technology but without decreasing the quality.|
|MP4 is extended from Apple QuickTime .mov and MPEG-4 Part 12||MP3 is extended from MP2|
|It is new and released in 2003.||It is released in 1994.|
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Time Tracking and Time and Attendance Software
- Difference Between Single and Double Quotes in Shell Script and Linux
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
- Difference between HTML and HTTP
- Difference between http:// and https://
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- What's difference between Microcontroller (µC) and Microprocessor (µP)?
- What's the difference between Scripting and Programming Languages?
- What’s difference between “array” and “&array” for “int array” ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.