A monitor is a computer hardware device that we use with other hardware devices of a computer such as a keyboard for typing and printer for printing. In the same way, a monitor is the PC gear that reveals the video and illustrations created by the video card of the PC. A monitor is no less than television.
Earlier, the monitors were made with the help of a cathode ray tube that renders the video image. The main aim behind designing the monitor was to provide accuracy and stability to the image. Now, the monitor is made using Thin Film Transistor Liquid Crystal Display (TFT-LCD) with LED Backlighting.
Some features of a monitor:-
- Size – The size of a monitor is not much larger. As these are used from a specific distance, it would be so inconvenient if a monitor size is too big. However, in gaming, it is recommended that large size monitors can be used as it gives the effect as the observer is moving from its place. A normal screen has dimensions of 43 cm × 32 cm while the widescreen is 46 cm × 26 cm.
- Resolution – By increasing the size of the screen the resolution of the screen decreases. Resolution can be understood as the sharpness of a particular picture. Now 3840×2160 resolution displays are manufactured.
- Aspect Ratio – A normal monitor has an aspect ratio of 4:3.
- Power saving – This extends the monitor’s service life. It helps in turning off a monitor after a specified period of inactivity. This also extends battery life and reduces wear.
- Integrated accessories – Many monitors have accessories or integrated connections for them. This eliminates the need for another separate hub, camera, microphone, or set of speakers as nowadays these accessories come integrated with the monitor.
- Curved designs – Curved designs of a monitor was introduced in about 2009. These curved displays allow a better viewing angle. These are suitable for gaming as well as for office work.
- Touch screen – The monitors detect touch at any pressure and have the ability to detect rotations and tilt.
- Image Quality – More Realistic and sharp images are produced on the laptop.
- Viewing angle – Viewing angle for the monitor is approximately 110 degrees.
Televisions are used as the electronic device for viewing the video content. Broadcasting signals are received by TVs and then changed them into pictures and sound. Nowadays, these televisions are manufactured in large sizes and by increasing the size of the TV, the cost also increases. To make a television, the radio frequency tuner and the audio speaker is combined to the monitor, and then the resulting appliance would be a television.
The radiofrequency tuner helps in receiving the television signals through different methods such as cable TV, broadcasting, or satellite-dish system. The radiofrequency consists of both audios as well as video signals. The audio signal is sent to the picture tube for displaying and the audio is sent to the speakers.
The television also has a tuner or remote to change the channels, increase or decrease the volume, etc which is adjusted according to the television. Earlier, the televisions were of huge size as it was made with a cathode ray tube. Later, this cathode tube was replaced and new LCD TVs were manufactured. Now, the technology has upgraded and new LED TVs are manufactured.
Some features of Television:-
- Size – Televisions are available in all sizes, but the customers are attracted to large size TVs as visibility of large-size TVs is good and covers a larger area and wider angle.
- Resolution – The resolution of a Television is less because of its size. The 4K and 8K TVs will have a good resolution, but less than that of a 4K and 8K monitors.
- Aspect Ration – Traditionally, televisions have been made in a square so the aspect ratio was 4:3. Since HDTV has become standard, TVs are now made in a rectangular shape so now the aspect ratio is 16:9.
- Frame Rate and Refresh Rate – The televisions have low refresh rates and frame rates.
- Image quality – As the televisions are made to provide a better viewing experience. Therefore, the images produced on television are more realistic. So, the image feels more realistic.
- Viewing angle – Televisions has a wider angle to watch, and one can watch television from any angle as the viewing range of television is 160 degrees.
|The Size of the Monitor is Small as compared to Televisions.||The Size of Television is Large.|
|The Resolution of a Monitor is High.||The Resolution of a Television is Low.|
|Image lagging in Monitor is Less.||Image Lagging in Television is More.|
|The Viewing Angle of a Monitor is approximately 110 degrees.||The Viewing Angle of a Television is around 160 degrees.|
|Image Quality on Monitor is more Sharp and Clear.||Image Quality on Television is more Realistic and Smooth.|
|There is More Number of Input Jacks in a Monitor to connect more devices.||There is Less Number of Input Jacks.|
|Monitors do not have a Tuner.||Television has a Tuner.|
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between ELT and ETL
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between “!==” and “==!” in PHP
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between 4G and 5G
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between LED and LCD
- Difference between C and C#
- Difference between WCF and Web API
- Difference between URL and URI
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- What is the difference between MEAN.js and MEAN.io?
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.